EG BOOZ Repo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BillinMo

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: whiskeyman
An aqua bottle wouldn't become amethyst if irradiated...not sure what color would occur - I have seen what once was an blue Ball jar irradiated and the glass had an odd muddy-colored appearence.

Maybe the thin glass of a jar or bottle reacts differently, but we have some documented experiments where an aqua insulator has been changed to purple through irradiation.

Article (Note the section # 3 about "Radiation Exposure (Producing Fantasy and Imitation Colors)")

http://www.nia.org/altered/index.htm

And before/after photos here

http://www.nia.org/altered/Pictures_compare.htm

I know very, very little about Booz bottles, but I hope that information's helpful.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
aqua glass containing manganese can definately be irradated to make it turn purple.
I doubt that booz was irradiated.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
1st...The OP notes:
Quote:" (Glass appears to be irradiated, corners of bottle have a pale green color cast by a 15 lumen LED on a white back drop)."Unquote.
I further queried about the reason for the above pale green color. I note no one else has addressed this issue.
And, I never said this Booz was irradiated. I did say it was made by Dell and amethyst was one of the colors it was made in.

2nd ...can anyone explain to me why aqua glass would contain manganese?
Manganese was added as a de-colorizer...ie... to make glass colorless, but US glass makers quit using it in 1916....or advent of WW I with Germany - who was our main supplier.

3rd...the OP asked a question about irradiating glass and sunlight ,etc., causing color changes. I answered his question about same, but perhaps I could have been more specific or clearer in my reply ??

4th...The below link shows an aqua McLaughlin insulator changed to a "muddy- looking coloration"...as I had noted I have seen occur with Ball jars.
It also shows an aqua Postal insulator changed to purple/amethyst, but compare this with the Whitahall Tatum on the left and you will plainly see it is not a TRUE amethyst/purple but a weak (watered-down) imitation. JMHO...[8|]

http://www.nia.org/altered/Pictures_compare.htm

Thanks a lot BillinMo for those links.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Saw my first E.G. Booze repo yesterday. We went to Kellers flea market and there was a nice green one. I don't remember the maker that was embossed on the base. The embossing overall of the cabin was kinda weak. The guy had plenty of flask repos as well. All were around $20 so he wasn't trying to pull anything...he knew what they were.

BillinMo

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. I missed that you were referring to a specific shade of amethyst and not just a purplish coloration. Sorry 'bout that.

Reaction score

Jerseyana

Reaction score
Good evening.

The Dell information can be found in the book Tippecanoe and E. G. Booz! by Thomas C. Haunton. (Psst. That's me.)

I've gathered info on Dell over the 24 years I've been working on my book about Clevenger Brothers, since they shared quite a few molds and employees. Dell will be covered in Volume 2 of my work on 20th century South Jersey glass. I just finished Volume 1, which is about Clevenger Brothers - 400+ pages and 800+ photos worth of material. I'm presently publisher hunting, so hopefully it will be released soon.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It sounds like a great book Tom but probably a little to comprehensive for me.
Weren't you set up in Keene a few years ago with a real or fake test? I had no idea of all those other NJ makers of more modern times. Corrini, Macho? et al
One book consisting of more makers but less comprehensive is more to my personal needs. Price is also a major consideration. I'd guess that publishing something like that won't be cheap and I'm about broke.
This isn't a criticism, just my personal likes.
I'll bet you were at the Clevenger auction. How'd you make out if you were?

Jerseyana

Reaction score
Good morning.

Yes, the Clevenger book will be a comprehensive one. Considering they were in business for 70 years and seemed to reinvent themselves every 15-20 years, it's a book that needed to be written. Between free-blown, mold-blown, and commemorative ware, they made hundreds of different pieces, many of which are being sold on Ebay and other places as old. Of course, in 20 years, many of these pieces will become antiques - 100 years old.

I did have the Real Vs. Repro test at Keene a few years ago. I have to "reload" on my older pieces to do another of those. Perhaps I can do that for when I start my new column for Antique Bottle and Glass Collector Magazine in a few months. I really missed doing the Keene show this year, but had to work.

Volume 2 of my 20th century South Jersey glass book will be as comprehensive about the other makers as the Clevenger book. For companies such as Dell, Beacon, Marks, and Downer, there will be good size chapters since they all made a lot of different pieces, although no where as much stuff as Clevengers. That book is at least a couple of years off - it's about 30% done.

Hopefully when the Clevenger book comes out, you'll find it worth the money.

I was at the Clevenger auction and did buy quite a bit of stuff. I tried to get examples of all the types of tools and molds and think I did pretty well, as you'll be able to see in the book. I also bought all the Clevenger paper there - lots of catalogs, advertisements, and photos which proved the real treasure.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause