Embossed “NE PLUS ULTRA, AIR-TIGHT FRUIT JAR/ MADE BY BODINE & BROS’ WMS’ TOW

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
RE: Embossed “NE PLUS ULTRA, AIR-TIGHT FRUIT JAR/ MADE BY BODINE & BROS’ WMS’ TOW

Hey mjl,

Could'ya transcribe the embossing exactly? Is it Bodine & Bros.?

Is this the one?
84-01.jpg
From.

2BC2A66BD7DB455A9EA319F6EA331C82.jpg
Could we get more jar and less lawnchair?

the_shanghai_gesture_Large.jpg

mjl3688

Reaction score
RE: Embossed “NE PLUS ULTRA, AIR-TIGHT FRUIT JAR/ MADE BY BODINE & BROS’ WMS’ TOW

Yes, "NE PLUS ULTRA, AIR-TIGHT FRUIT JAR." = TOP LINE
"MADE BY BODINE & BROS, WMs'TOWN, NJ" = MIDDLE LINE
"FOR THEIR PATENTED GLASS LID." = BOTTOM LINE

That is was the embossing says letter for letter, period for period, comma for comma. And yes, that is a 1/2 Gallon version of the "circles and squares" design, while my jar is pint size - perhaps an even rarer size.

mjl3688

Reaction score

Here is a picture of another bodine fruit jar that showcases what the glass lid would have been like for this wax sealed fruit jar. It also showcases a slight depression on the top rim of the lip just like my jar. This must have been used for something, maybe to pry the wax sealed glass lid off? Does anyone have any insight onto why both those jars have the same unique characteristic?

7673EF893E3F45E4B02CAACA920102EB.jpg

Attachments

• 7673EF893E3F45E4B02CAACA920102EB.jpg
    7673EF893E3F45E4B02CAACA920102EB.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 77

idigjars

Reaction score

Hello mjl3688.

The redbook 10 # is 478.

Like Woody stated the redbook price is $3000 & up but with all RARE jars you should triple that price or more in my opinion.

I saw some rare jars at the National bottle show last weekend and I can tell you that none were being offered at redbook price. Some were 5 times or more of redbook price. It's supply and demand and where would anybody find another jar like yours?

My guess is $10k or more if it has no damage and just stain. Are you interested in selling it? If you are and it was mine it would go to an auction house. There are many antique bottle auction places out there like American Glass Gallery(John Pastor), Pole top(Ray Klingensmith), Norman Heckler, American Bottle(formerly Pacific Glass), or Glassworks. There are others, just trying to help. You could probably negotiate the percentage of selling price also for them to acquire such a great jar for their auction. Congratulations on finding that great jar. Paul

cookie

Reaction score

if you're considering an auction house.....NORTH AMERICAN GLASS AUCTIONS, run by Greg Spurgeon......they deal almost exclusively with old fruit jars- mason jars....hope this helps----John

GuntherHess

Reaction score

Does anyone have any insight onto why both those jars have the same unique characteristic?

would see if you can track down the patent info on it, that should indicate why its there.

surfaceone

Reaction score

Here's another photo from a past Spurgeon auction:

NEPlusUltraQT.jpg
From. It doesn't seem to have that "dip in the lip," but the stopper seems to have a bit of a dip.

6_brown_bros_2.gif

georgeoj

Reaction score

The slight dip in the rim is common on jars of this age with applied tops. I think that it is the area where the top section was gripped with the tool used to attach it to the jar.
While I like most of the auction sites listed above, for fruit jars, Greg Spurgeon does cosistently get the best prices.
George

dygger60

Reaction score

I agree on your comment about the Red Book pricing. Most reliezed prices will be above Red Book pricing....of course what a jar is worth is what is agreed upon between the seller and buyer.

But on the down side you have jars in the Red Book that are listed well above what one usually reliezes from a sale.

I have jars that in the Red Book are listed for $10 to $15....and you can not touch them for under $100.

I am not bashing the Red Book by any means....it is the reference book of reference books....but it pays to know your jars.....

David

ajohn

Reaction score

Oh man what a find!!!
I am in total agreement with John(cookie)North American Glass is the place to go if you're wanting the big dogs of the jar world to fight for it.My guess...around the eight grand mark.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause