Embossed “NE PLUS ULTRA, AIR-TIGHT FRUIT JAR/ MADE BY BODINE & BROS’ WMS’ TOW

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mjl3688

Reaction score
RE: Embossed “NE PLUS ULTRA, AIR-TIGHT FRUIT JAR/ MADE BY BODINE & BROS’ WMS’ TOW

Well, this bottle has finally made its way to Greg Spurgeon at North American Glass, and is set to be auctioned in May. Woohoo!

deenodean

Reaction score
RE: Embossed “NE PLUS ULTRA, AIR-TIGHT FRUIT JAR/ MADE BY BODINE & BROS’ WMS’ TOW

Can u let us know what it sells for? NICE JAR

dygger60

Reaction score

Good luck on the auction....NAG usually draws a good response.....nice quality items on there....

David

mjl3688

Reaction score

Thanks! I sure hope so. The auction starts tomorrow, and my bottle is one of few featured items, and the bidding starts at $1,000 so I am thinking it will be exciting to watch! The pictures are better too haha - check it out at http://www.gregspurgeon.com/auction/browse.asp listed as - • 3857. NE PLUS ULTRA BODINE BROS Circle & Square PINT Pontil -

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score

NE PLUS ULTRA

thats a great advertising phrase. Why dont we talk like that anymore. I think humans are devolving...

rallcollector

Reaction score

Hey antiquemeds, what did you mean by "thats a great advertising phrase".
Paul

mjl3688

Reaction score

I was thinking something about the phrase being latin, and the definition being slightly over the top. Either way, humans are devolving haha.

ne plus ultra |ˈnÄ“ ËŒplÉ™s ˈəltrÉ™; ˈnÄ ËŒploÅs ˈoÅltrÉ™|
noun
the perfect or most extreme example of its kind; the ultimate : he became the ne plus ultra of bebop trombonists.
ORIGIN Latin, literally ‘not further beyond,’ the supposed inscription on the Pillars of Hercules prohibiting passage by ships.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score

"thats a great advertising phrase".

how often now days do you hear a Latin phrase uttered on commercial TV.
They basically pander to the masses at a level of grunts and oinks[;)]

From transcripts and writings it seemed that 19th century Americans spoke a more vibrant language.

deenodean

Reaction score

wow , it is up to $3000.00 already! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Vidula

Reaction score

at $3100.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster