embossed 10 & 12 oz coke

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bubbas dad

Reaction score
thanks digdug. i knew they weren't rare but i figured they were very common.i had seen them on ebay every now and then but could never find one around here. your info on the marketing is about what i was quessing, i didn't know until recently that the coke acls started out in the 50's. i thought they came out in the 70's.

wonkapete

Reaction score
You can tell the older ACL cokes by the small 'C' in Coke. The font changed to the larger 'C' in the '70s.

wonkapete

Reaction score
They used the different sizes in marketing areas to compete with Pepsi.

That's right digdug! Matter of fact, I have a 8 oz Coke bottle that was strictly made for the sole purpose of competing with Pepsi. Only Lexington, N.C. was authorized to use this bottle size. I have documentation from that Coke plant verifying this. I wrote an article on this bottle last year in the Soda Spectrum magazine.

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
i dug a bunch of those 10 ounce embossed cokes, all with broken off tops, and all had towns... i didnt know there was a 12 ounce embossed, or 8

i would LOVE one of those 8 ounce cokes if someone wants to get rid of one!

LC

Reaction score
Well, I have a six bottle carton on a shelf of the ten once Cokes. Went out to the garage after running Momma Raccoon with two of her little ones out of my flower garden in the front of the house. Because of the lack of rain, they have came out of the woods, and are tearing the hell out of everything in site. I have caught two in a live trap already, and transported them out to the country trying to keep in mind they are having a rough time of it, and are trying to get by like all of us creatures are. Hate to have to start shooting them like my Neighbors are doing, Neighbor next door has shot ten in his yard in the past week and a half, looks as though I may have to as well, as they are going to give me little choice. Anyway, got one of the Coke's and took a pic of the side and bottom. There is no Owen Illinois mark on this bottle, and there is no city or state on the bottom of it. I never checked the other five to see what was on the bottoms of them. I did pick up a 16 oz. Coke painted label bottle yesterday from Hilo, Hawaii. First Coke I ever saw from Hawaii that I can remember seeing.

957B0D922CD64D38BEC6D717BDD68BDC.jpg

Attachments

• 957B0D922CD64D38BEC6D717BDD68BDC.jpg
    957B0D922CD64D38BEC6D717BDD68BDC.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 90

digdug

Reaction score
The 8 oz bottle is an ACL style. I tried to find one for years and couldn't. So, one day I decided to drive to Lexington, N.C. where they used them. I was able to find a few at an antique store.
The 10 & 12 oz bottle manufacturers I've seen the most of Chattanooga Glass, Owens and Anchor Hocking with most marked 1955 (the first year they came out).
Speaking of different sizes for different marketing areas-Coke also used a 36 oz ACL bottle in the Carolinas. I also bought a Coca-Cola marketing booklet from the 1970's. It mentions a 48 oz returnable ACL bottle. I've never seen one though. Has anyone else seen the 48 oz returnable? I've seen the 48 oz No Deposit bottles.

wonkapete

Reaction score
Digdug, I'd like to see that book. I have one of the 36 oz bottles, still full.

One of my strong areas of collecting centers around the '70s...

BTW, I have one of the 48 oz returnables.. here she is.. on the left..

48.jpg

digdug

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for the photo. The book only mentioned the 48 oz returnable, but had no photo. I will try to find that book and copy the pages about the 48 oz. Doesn't really say much. It really talks about how to set up in the Grocery stores-best loactions for increased sales, etc. I like reading them because it will mention bottle sizes I've never seen before, etc. Now that I know it really does exist- I have a new bottle to look for!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
I remember those 48s they wern't around long as I remember. Had the big ol' 64s. Kind of makes me feel special living here in the Carolinas.Should have kept some. I can see the boys in Atlanta saying "Lets try this across the river [Savannah] those boobs will drink anything, Tell em its good for the country. Worked with SRP." For those that don't live in the CSRA- Central Savannah River Area, the SRP is a nuclear wepons plant about 30 mi. from here a really nasty place. Can you say Crapped Up. Gonna hafta get me one of them 8s

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn