Embossing question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
I am cleaning out my boxes of dug bottles and came across an interesting embossing.
So, I was wondering if this means anything or not.
I have two light green applied tops I/P Dyottville sodas that are in the same form, tops, etc.
One is about a 1/4" taller than the other.
The shorter one has the Dyottville- Glass-Works (in an arch) with the embossing running from one seam to the other and the dashes in between the embossing. Also the PHILA is spelled exactly like I just wrote it.
The other bottle is the same but the top embossing is in a narrower, higher arch with no dashes in between the words and the word PHILADa is spelled this way.
Anyone know anything about these differences?
Thank you,
sc pontil collector

epackage

Reaction score
I have seen both and I'm guessing just different time periods and they made minor changes to the embossing, hopefull an expert will be able to help...

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Different batches of bottles were often ordered with variations. Anybody know if PHILA was a common early abbreviation for Philly? If so, it might indicate that this was the earlier version. Philada shows up on later bottles for sure, but I am only guessing, of course.

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: blobbottlebob

Different batches of bottles were often ordered with variations. Anybody know if PHILA was a common early abbreviation for Philly? If so, it might indicate that this was the earlier version. Philada shows up on later bottles for sure, but I am only guessing, of course.

Hey Bob, and SCpc, and you, too, Jim,

Interesting question IMHO. I've seen "PHILA," "PHILa (with and without a line under the lover case a,)" and the ever popular "PHILADa (again with/without line)."

I don't know which is the older abreviation. I did find this interesting thread on Disston Saw badges: http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medallionpage.html that covers the topic to no definitive conclusion.

Here's a good article on Dyottville Porters: http://www.glswrk-auction.com/contest06-5.htm that goes into the subject more from a mould perspective.

You just never see "Philly" embossed. Maybe that's a good thing...

Phillie+logo.jpg

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Hey surfaceone,
'If you ever do see "Fhilly" embossed on one, grab it. You'll probably have a one of a kind.
SCPC

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen