Enamel sign found diving (earlier in the year)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Funny that it says 5000 miles. It doesn't seem like much by today's standards. But the state of the roads was probably a lot worse. I have also learned that the founder of Kokomo tires 'invented' pneumatic rubber tires. Often they sold their tires out of pure white rubber. I believe the sign dates to the 1920s or 30s. It has a manufacturing stamp of 'Burdick Cons. BLDG,. Chicago' at the bottom on one side.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Dang, that is a super sweet find! Way better than the average porcelain sign.

There is one like it recorded on worthpoint:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/kokomo-tires-and-tubes-5000-miles-dsp-sign-16x24

Perhaps someone with a subscription can figure out what it went for, or you can start a free trial. I did the trial a few years ago and it was legit; opt out before the 7 days and no charges will be made. I figure the sign would fetch more now than it did in 2005.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks for the trip.
The Beach Boys made it sound like Kokomo was way down and far away, 5000 miles sounds OK to me. [:D][:D]

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the research Plumb. I'm not sure mine would be rated at 9 out of 10 but that is a ton of cash. I found a buyer who lives in Kokomo already. It is sold and gone. His grandfather worked on the assembly line there. I did not sell it for that much, but it is gone. I did get more for it than anything I have ever sold before.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I thought of the beach boys song too Cows. Apparently, the Kokomo in the song was an imaginary tropical island used for poetic purposes only.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Ah right on, sounds like it went to a good home. Any monetary return on a freely found item, big or small, is all gravy. Thanks for sharing the find and hopefully you can scare up some more like it in the future!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks again Plumb. I think you're correct about getting it in the right hands. I just dished out some milks that were fairly rare to the family members whose relatives once owned the dairy. For me, it was more clutter; for them it was family history / family heirlooms.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Now for this cool anchor I found. I first picked it up off the bottom, and just thought I'd take it. It had at least 100 feet of anchor line and some of it was buried and hard to pull out. I managed to get in shallow enough to stand and just pull it out but some of the line was tangled in branches and stuff. I almost left it but now I'm glad I didn't. The thing folds into a single line like an umbrella. Easy to store and cart around.

1E584810BB7D4745B967B9FEEFF04D3D.jpg

Attachments

• 1E584810BB7D4745B967B9FEEFF04D3D.jpg
    1E584810BB7D4745B967B9FEEFF04D3D.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 73

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause