English? Bottle Base Markings

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

leebran20

Reaction score
Hi gang. I threading to humbly request assistance again, as I'm helping on an archaeological project and was hoping some of you -- particularly our English friends and of course our benevolent site administrator -- could help me identify some of the following base markings, and maybe even give me some history and dates (I believe these are all English, but of course I could very well be mistaken). I could not find them in Tolouse's book. Unfortunately, my own computer system is being fixed right now and I am working on borrowed stuff away from my home with which I cannot scan in the sketches I have. I'll do my best to describe them anywhos.

1. S & Co ( embossing goes in arc which follows or is near outer edge of about a third of the base).

2. W/l/ (I've tried my best to illustrate this with typecase, but in the sketch the last letter or marking looks a bit like a stylized "N". This is also along base's outer contour.)

3. C W & Co (Takes up about half of base's outer contour.)

4. G & Co (Takes up about one third of of base's outer contour.)

5. l/l (Another feeble attempt to illustrate with typecase, this one looks like a "Z" if you turned it 90 degress clockwise, and is located near outer edge of base.)

6. _S (Poor typecase illustration of what looks like an "S" with a straight line extending left from the lowest arch of the letter. Mark in center of base.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Take care.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigJayKay