Estate bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone might know if this is an American or Continental bottle. About 8 inches tall with an outward rolled lip, it is a real nice teal blue green color with what looks like a solid rod pontil? Also of course wondering what the value would be on this piece. Thanks.

6A8B81BADEA3417C897FE5DA5AD637BD.jpg

Attachments

• 6A8B81BADEA3417C897FE5DA5AD637BD.jpg
    6A8B81BADEA3417C897FE5DA5AD637BD.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 44

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
The base.

9828FA9395464B959D8FA7FA32AF7B9F.jpg

Attachments

• 9828FA9395464B959D8FA7FA32AF7B9F.jpg
    9828FA9395464B959D8FA7FA32AF7B9F.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 48

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
While I can not say for sure, IF it was green I would say capers........

luckiest

Reaction score
the solid rod style always makes me think europe.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: NYCFlasks

While I can not say for sure, IF it was green I would say capers........
I still think it's a capers bottle even though it's not green, could be any condiment though really.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well, I realize that the bottlemaker waited to long to mane his final blow so the parison stretched too far down in his delay and this accounts for the extra thickness of glass toward the bottom and around the bottom edges. I also take some exception to the pontil being referred to as a solid rod style. So I would like to see a picture of the bottom taken at about 30 to 40 degrees from the bottom face. Punty rods were basically iron rods with a head on then that was usually round and usually domed to some extent to keep the bottom of a bottle like this setting on the periphery of the base. These rods were kept heated some and dipped in graphite sometimes with graphite or a sticky material that could pick up glass dust or chips, sand, or fine cast iron dust from the mold machine shop. I am currently working (when I get a chance) on an illustrated blow regarding these tool applications - and I am concerned about presenting copyright protected description wording from the few books that there are telling us about what is or was used. I expect to spend some time at the Corning Museum next summer with their instructors in the glass blowing classes to review this subject with them.
I like this bottle and if it is for sale = advise me of what you would sell it for. RED Matthews

PS I would like to know what druggistnut meant by rolled sides. The curved in vertical corners were created by the construction of the mold cavity.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Wow....Nice color . I would agree it most likely held a food of some kind . Think gherkins, capers or olives. The wide mouth is the giveaway besides the obvious classic caper bottle design.

I'm not sure if it's American or not being that it's such an odd color.

Nice one.

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RED Matthews

Well, I realize that the bottlemaker waited to long to mane his final blow so the parison stretched too far down in his delay and this accounts for the extra thickness of glass toward the bottom and around the bottom edges. I also take some exception to the pontil being referred to as a solid rod style. So I would like to see a picture of the bottom taken at about 30 to 40 degrees from the bottom face. Punty rods were basically iron rods with a head on then that was usually round and usually domed to some extent to keep the bottom of a bottle like this setting on the periphery of the base. These rods were kept heated some and dipped in graphite sometimes with graphite or a sticky material that could pick up glass dust or chips, sand, or fine cast iron dust from the mold machine shop. I am currently working (when I get a chance) on an illustrated blow regarding these tool applications - and I am concerned about presenting copyright protected description wording from the few books that there are telling us about what is or was used. I expect to spend some time at the Corning Museum next summer with their instructors in the glass blowing classes to review this subject with them.
I like this bottle and if it is for sale = advise me of what you would sell it for. RED Matthews

PS I would like to know what druggistnut meant by rolled sides. The curved in vertical corners were created by the construction of the mold cavity.
I also have doubts about the solid rod pontil. Red I do not have the bottle with me. When the family is through splitting the estate I will be selling some of what's left. I will let you know if I get it. Thanks to all who replied I also lean toward it being a European capers type bottle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey