Estate sale grabs!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Skoda

Reaction score
MoCo Maryland has like... No antique bottle collectors, which means there's so little that shows up at yard sales, antique stores, thrifts, etc. When they do show up however, it's like nobody wants them? It's wild, I found these three at a SECOND day sale and priced way undervalue for what they are, I'm beyond excited. The big one in the crate is a Holland Gin (likely imported) with stamping from J. L. Davis Sons NY. It is smooth base and probably 1880's-1910's; can't find anything on the company unfortunately. My heart skipped a beat when I picked up the teal cylinder and saw it had a huge open pontil on it, I couldn't believe it. I'm guessing the mini oval demijohn is French and it's super crude with a crooked neck and wobbly base.

DSC_0972.JPG

DSC_0966.JPG
DSC_0971.JPG
DSC_0967.JPG
DSC_0969.JPG
DSC_0974.JPG

Skoda

Reaction score
Any idea what the story is on the box around the gin bottle?

Jim G
I'm unsure if it was domestically produced or manufactured overseas; the base is lined with straw. Definitely far more robust than your typical demijohn crate. I did find a similar one here, but it's for a 5 gallon water bottle and opens on a hinge as opposed to having an open top and being permanently sealed like mine is: https://www.onesourceauctions.com/a...ffelin-co.-5-gallon-demijohn-glass_50E46728DF

sandchip

Reaction score
Heckuva score! I'd be tickled with any one of those around here, where the odds are virtually zip.

Johnny M

Reaction score
MoCo Maryland has like... No antique bottle collectors, which means there's so little that shows up at yard sales, antique stores, thrifts, etc. When they do show up however, it's like nobody wants them? It's wild, I found these three at a SECOND day sale and priced way undervalue for what they are, I'm beyond excited. The big one in the crate is a Holland Gin (likely imported) with stamping from J. L. Davis Sons NY. It is smooth base and probably 1880's-1910's; can't find anything on the company unfortunately. My heart skipped a beat when I picked up the teal cylinder and saw it had a huge open pontil on it, I couldn't believe it. I'm guessing the mini oval demijohn is French and it's super crude with a crooked neck and wobbly base.

View attachment 248959
View attachment 248960View attachment 248963View attachment 248961View attachment 248962View attachment 248964
Wowza! All 3 are zingers. You da man !!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen