Ever seen a round bottom Hutch?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

texasdigger

Reaction score
That is one sweet soda! It would do so well at the Houston show. You are correct when you say sodas do well at that show. The last show I was at had about 15 common drug stores, one nice Galveston Citrate, two Texas patent meds, couple nice Texas crocks and the rest of the Texas stuff was sodas.

As far as Texas soda collectors there are some really amazing collections. I know of a couple collections that were used in writing some books about Texas sodas. Truly close to complete Texas soda collections.

I am not a big soda guy, but I love the early Texas bottles. My favorite soda from Texas is the "P. Conat New Orleans Galveston Texas" with an iron pontil in deep aqua green. My friend who owns one of the two says they were found in a wall of a house that was being remodeled. They are both in mint condition.

Very nice bottles Jay! It feels good to find something that is possibly unique.

Brad

jays emporium

Reaction score
Thank you, Brad. Good to hear from you. Will you be setting up at the Houston show on July 24? I have dealer information if you need it.
Jay

crabbergirl

Reaction score
I have 3 of what we have always called "Ballast" bottles as they were discribed as bottles that provided ballast for trans Atlantic ships. The bottles were filled with either water or gingerale and used if needed during the trips or off loaded at ports for supplies. The ones I have are embossed "Belfast" and others are plain. I will have to post pics for you as I now wonder if what I was told was true. The dump these came from is rumored to be a pre Civil War landing.

texasdigger

Reaction score
Nice to hear from you too. I have been well, but just not heavy on bottles the last little while. Kids, Work, Family and all that jazz has been keeping me busy. Also we lost our good East Texas dump we have been digging for a while so I have sulking a bit. Going from digging a few hutchs, bitters, good meds and embossed flasks on each trip out back to the TOC stuff has been a bit tough to swallow. So I have been doing more research (sanborns) marking maps with possible out houses, and dumping spots for a good local town. Next step will be a trip there to try for some permissions. I am not sure how it will go, but I am gonna try.

As for the Houston show I am not sure if I will go. I do have a ton of druggists to sell, but I am not sure how they would do there. Thanks for offering the info though. As it gets closer I am sure I will go, but maybe not set up.

Thanks again, and have a good week. If I do go I will bring the meds we discussed, and see what we can do after the show. I wish we could work out a trade between us. I would rather trade bottles with friends instead of exchanging cash. It just feels better.

Brad

jays emporium

Reaction score
RE: Sold my round bottom Texas Hutch.

The Rische's round bottom Hutchinson from San Antonio now has a new owner. I sold it for $350. at the Houston show. If it said San Antonio, Texas it would have been a grand. I had enough documentation to prove it is San Antonio though.
Jay

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Jay ~

Congratulations on the sale of your bottle. Now watch the "new owner" put it on e-Bay and get the $1000.00 that should have been yours. If he does do this, he'll probably even say it's a true-blue San Antonio bottle! (No disrespect to the new owner - just foolin' around here). [:D]

Take care,

SPB

jays emporium

Reaction score

Thanks Bob. That round bottom will not be available again until that owner's estate sale.
I did have additional proof of it being a San Antonio bottle. I found an tooled top crown embossed RISCHE'S BOTTLING WORKS SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS. I sold the 2 bottles together so there is no question about the origin of the round bottom.
Jay

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward