Everyone has a favorite color, right?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well being bottle collectors we obviously like color. It's an interesting thing if you stop and think about the value color can bring in glass sometimes. It appears that for the most part, and everyone has different opinions of course, that cobalt seems to be king? At least in rarer bottles. Is that a safe assumption? This is a topic that could go on and on for sure, but generally from what I have seen that tends to be that case in many instances. Also tho, it can depend heavily on the type of bottle.

Ok, examples... i'm hoping you take in account these are some very general observations.

Take sodas, this includes mineral waters, squat porters, ales, etc. Blue-green, various shades of greens, teals, cobalts, and aquas seem to be the most prevelant. Where as yellows, puce, emeralds, and amber tend to be quite a bit more rare.

Medicines, generally aqua or clear, and when you start getting into color demand rises quite fast in the rarer bottles. Cetainly there are many rare aqua & clear as well in very high demand.

Flasks, it seems sometimes to me that they can be driven more by rarer molds than color on many occasions. Of course, the colored examples in many instances still draw a bigger crowd.

Bitters, amber seems the most dominant, as well as the many shades of it. More solid colors, yellows, greens, cobalts, and the exotics really cause a skyrocket.

Inks, similar in taste of how flasks are it seems in the molds or makers are sought, with color really driving more attention.

Of course nothing is set in stone, and these are merely a few observations I have had. Some may agree and others wont. There are so many exceptions to what I have stated.

So, do you prefer certain colors in your collection, or is it much more bottle specific for you than that?

Just curious on your thoughts [:)]

~Tim

Conch times

Reaction score
Hello Tim, I'm new to all of this but I would like to think I have found enough to form my opinion. I agree that it seems that everyone likes cobalt blue the best, I will admit I love finding anything blue but it's more because it seems harder to find a non broken blue. The only dig I have been on we found tons of blue glass but very few whole bottles. We joked that it must have been easier to hit the blue ones with a rock! Anyways I think the brown ones are my favorite, I think they call them amber.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Abalone

5985308894_e591abd963_z.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
The subject / thread is WAY too broad for any sort of concensus in my opinion. The important factor with color is what is RARE for that catagory. What is rare for one catagory is common in another. I could list numerous examples.

My favorite color across all catagories, including insulators, is PUCE.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen