Evidence that Glass is a Liquid!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I turned the brain wheels a little more and had one other idea. Could this pane have broken while being annealed, then re-heated slightly to fix it? It seems like a lot of trouble to go through, but one never knows...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
It looks like crudeness in the first pic.. lovely crudeness..

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RIBottleguy

I turned the brain wheels a little more and had one other idea. Could this pane have broken while being annealed, then re-heated slightly to fix it? It seems like a lot of trouble to go through, but one never knows...
Seems more likely...

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Another example I though of was a soda bottle I dug cracked completely in half. I spent quite some time with a magnifying glass checking to make sure the crack went the whole way through the bottle, and it did the whole way around. Now unless a crack can travel on the inside and outside of a bottle (in perfect unison) but not in the very middle of the glass, I'm at a loss to explain the science behind it.

not sure I understand what you are describing there?
Are you saying there was just a surface crack all the way around??
If glass is not annealed correctly (and it often wasnt in early glass) it can have really weird stresses in it and it fractures in odd ways.
You can have stress just in the center of a bottle or just in the neck or even on the surface.
When glass is under a lot of stress its like a bunch of rubber band pulled tight and it doesnt take much extra force to push it over the edge. That's one reason large pot stones should be a big concern to collectors. They often interfere with the uniform anealing and cause stress areas in the glass.
Glass is a weird compound but that's what makes it so interesting.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
on your glass pane , are you sure it was cracked? Sometimes you get strings of bubbles that can look like fractures or even thin glass strings that land on the glass that can look like fractures.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: RIBottleguy

I've been working on renovating an old church for some time now. It was originally built in 1710, and while I'm not sure if the frame is original, it is all hand-cut lumber, some with the bark still on it! The windows are also quite old. My favorite window pane is a special one. At one point it cracked in three separate lines. This could have happened 200 or more years ago, since as of now, the cracks have re-sealed themselves! I've never seen anything like it before, but it sure isn't too hard to imagine since glass is a slow (very slow) moving liquid.

Sorry for the poor picture, I need to buy a new camera!
8199927579_3a88e5817f_z.jpg

Cool picture and window pane! I work with glass every day, and rarely see anything that crude...even amongst the old stuff...

probe buster

Reaction score
Who's to say it wasn't repaired sometime in the recent past? Maybe with windshield repair materials?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
tempered glass is some crazy stuff.
Its amazing how strong it is also.
Like the shower doors that mysteriously explode? [:D]
What about my Sam Adams that during the heat of summer leaves a puddle. Of coarse glass flows as a liquid.[8|]
Sorry for the joking. On a serious note, is that the bulls eye in the lower left? If so the spinner did an awesome job thinning it as well as he did.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skippy4747