Farm dump help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

foster2100

Reaction score
So I've been working a farm dump from the 1800s and its on the side of a hill, with large rocks in the way of course. I've only pulled one whole bottle from it in a year. I think I've got a rough outline of where it sat, with that being said, taking into consideration the large rocks and I'm hitting the clay layer (red clay) I'm just wondering how far these large rocks have moved it down on the hillside. I've found dirt that appears to have been burned and shards around it, but there is still more large rocks even underneath the burn layer and this is about a foot and a half down. My gut tells me to go down further on the hill and I will but is it plausible that it moved it that far down the hill it's probably 15 feet down the hill so if you can give advice it would be welcomed.

Thanks.

LisaH

Reaction score
When you are starting out always follow your gut more often that not.

Have you been running a probe to the bottom V where the oldest bottles would have rested? Also you would want to get a bead on where the most ac***ulation was and then dig that down and run a probe there.

Pictures always help anyway you can get a few up for us?

Last edited:

sunrunner

Reaction score
man . if all your coming up with is a bunch of rocks , chards and one hole bottle ! I would say forgetaboit!

LisaH

Reaction score
He pulled a whole bottle out and doesn't sound like there are other sites to be hunting. Let the guy dream eh! Persistence isn't a bad trait.

hemihampton

Reaction score
If it's full of big rocks not sure a probe will do much good, you just might keep hitting big rocks with the probe? I'd dig deeper just to see whats down there? LEON.

foster2100

Reaction score
I was just out there today and the ground is frozen over but I was digging anyways. As far as getting a probe into the ground I haven't yet but am going to as soon as the weather breaks a bit. I will get some pictures of it as well it's an interesting site very scenic as well. There is a huge rock face back behind the massive boulder and when I say there is literally a small tree growing on top of it. Im thinking that burn layer is running like almost in a square and then there's the clay layer underneath of that. In the burn layer I've been finding some awesome looking pieces to electric blue mason jars. Today I found a couple of parts to bodies that was blown out that belonged to medicine bottles, and about a week and half ago I found some pottery pieces one was a part of a jug the white and brown kind with the smaller spout and the other piece I'm not sure what it was off of but it was grey in color I'm thinking it may have come off of

foster2100

Reaction score
You know normally I would've said just forget it and move on to something else but I am learning and do collect antiques and metal detect, so I like adventure. In addition I've been trying for over a year just to locate it sparse directions and not knowing if I was in the right area was a big part of it too. Like I'd mentioned before about the rock face and the massive Boulder here's what will hopefully kind of let you see why I was confused, the man which I know pretty well had pigs in a pen a ways from there but he made two boulders that were sitting kinda close together into a pen and just put up a gate. So we have 3 boulders now and these are within 20 yards of other and then the rock face so I was having problems just really finding it precisely. The dump like I said before I believe it's in a square but I'm not sure the next time I go, which I try to go out about 3 times in a week and it's close to my house so I just drive out and visit for a while and go back and work the dump for a while. I really think that I will take a rake and just clear the leaves off the entire area so I can stop guessing at where exactly the burn layer was and where it is now.

foster2100

Reaction score
This is the first time I had ever dug for bottles so I'm really just learning and it's been a long but enjoyable experience and it's not easy but the one bottle even if it's just one that I pulled out whole yes I'm not going to lie it will have been disappointing but at least i will have a good story to tell and how many people actually follows through with something until the end these days.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Foster do you have any photos of the shards and the whole bottle? I used to dig and still will if there is positively no poison oak,ivy,sumac. I had great success on the side of an old barn once. It was like digging through the generations of those who lived there. A friend of mine who is an avid digger & diver told me this was very common on farms. Just another area to always check out in your bottle adventures. Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler