Father's Day Privy Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Me & Tom got out to dig a privy. Been off to a very slow start. Usually I name the Privies by number like #1 & end the year at #15 or something like that. I dug a couple of Privies earlier in the spring but total duds. Today we finally found some bottles, nothing to exciting, was expecting some rare Hutch's but the stars did not align & bottle Gods denied us. We probed this one last weekend. I couldn't wait to get back to it to dig it this weekend. Felt real good last weekend. This weekend we just started off digging where X (literally) marked the spot. Probed real easy but when we got started it was the hardest ground I ever dug, nothing but little rocks & broken concrete under the grass. Once we got threw that it was nothing but hard clay for 2-3 feet & nothing but a few shards mixed in. Tom probes around the hole & Declares it a Dud & sez lets fill it in. I say let me in to poke around. In one back corner I'm getting some softer dirt & less clay so think maybe something could be here. Then I get some white ash but I'm digging under a huge chunk of Concrete & Tom figures it's just part of the Concrete, I'm not so sure so continue with the digging & get more & more white ash farther down. Then I get what starts to look like your typical looking Privy bottom dirt. Tom Agrees & sure enough I start hitting bottles. Ends up we dug all along the outside of this privy. The Privy went under the Fence. So we kept digging that way under the Fence. Started finding lots of glass but lots of broken glass, some Screw cap liquor bottles P1030221.jpgP1030222.jpgP1030230.jpg was a very bad sign but some older tooled top non ABM crown tops & some embossed Medicines. No Hutches. To new for that. I figure the hole dated to around 1910-1920? We'll probably go back in Fall when weather is cooler (was in the 90's today) & look for the older 1800's privies. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
More Pics. Dr Colwells Magic Egyptian Oil, Jackson Michigan? Anybody know anything about it or the Peckhams Croup Remedy For Childrens Cough Cure?P1030228.jpgP1030229.jpgP1030257.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
The Dr. Westerndorff Weather flag I posted above. Here's the Childrens Med Bottle.P1030250.jpgP1030251.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Sample size Horlicks Malted Milk. All the ones I've seen & I've dug a few broken ones were really big size like a big Mason jar but this must be a sample size it's so small, like only 3 inches tall. are these common this small? LEON.P1030260.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
Leon, I'd say that's a pretty good dig if you're asking questions. You know a lot.
Like all Trial Size bottles, the Horlicks is FAR less common than the larger sizes. It's not rare by any stretch but still collectible and desirable. If it had an original cap I'd want it for my collection of "Littles".
2 of those others are new to me and that Drug Store would be on my want list if a 1/2 ounce. I know its never enough but still not a bad day. Thank for sharing.
Jim

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973