Faux marble ironstone pitcher

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
This beautiful marble-ized pitcher came from an 1860s privy, here in town. I have no idea why it was tossed out because it's in absolutely perfect condition. Maybe a spiteful child did it. I believe that's why we find nice marbles and dolls in them, too. Sibling rivalries are nothin' new. [:D]

Fc90238.jpg

diggerjeff

Reaction score
wow!! that is a nice find!! is the patern painted on , or is there hairline cracks in the center of each line? i have dug some with a simular effect but upon close inspection i have fould hairline cracks on the surface glase that has allowed something to get under the glase and spread to the china. making it appear to be like marble. real neat looking!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Nope, diggerjeff, it's totally perfect. The design is under the glaze. No hallmark, either, so we don't know who made it. I have recoverd lots of nice ironstone, yellowware, redware, etc. from privies. We actually eat from them and run 'em through the dishwasher. The stuff is indestructable.

Mike

flasherr

Reaction score
I hope you wash them before your first meal or your eating thier last meal lol sorry i know that is gross :)
Brian

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Now that's funny....I don't care who you are! [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] and Mike, that is one of the prettiest pitchers I have ever seen. Congratulations! Kelley

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Not to worry, y'all. They have years of purification. I dug a nice handle-less mug last weekend. Back in the 1860s, and before, ironstone cups were fashioned without handles. That's what I dug Saturday. I gave it to a neighbor.

Do y'all Texicans collect Native American artifacts? I sure do, and so do many of my Tx. friends. Another GREAT hobby.

Mike

whiskeyman

Reaction score
MIKE....very nice pitcher !

You asked about Native American artifacts...here is a Forum thread about some....

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Last_Thing_I_Expected/m_27712/tm.htm

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Mike. Yes, I am an avid digger for Native American artifacts as well as Indian Wars Military artifacts. That is how I accidentally got hooked on bottle digging. In fact I am going today to a possible Indian camp and see what turns up. I have also been lucky enough to help on a couple of State sanctioned archealogical excavations. It is a joy and a lot of work to see how the pros do it. Happy Diggin, Kelley

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter