Fave Sodas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

green dragon

Reaction score
RootbeerBob's thread got me thinking about favorite sodas and nostalgia.

That's dangerous, nostalgia, it;s one thing got me hooked on ACLs, is remembering childhood brands ( and at 42 I'm not even that old :p )

Anyways... for example, growing up , my brother and I always loved RC cola - him more rabidly then I, but RC was not always easy to find in Binghamton , NY area... so when we found it , it was a treat.. especially in glass bottles ( I DO recall that both him and I would be gung ho about glass even then, better then cans or plastic. - I also recall peeling the styrofoam labels off the bottles, oops ) .

I still need to find one of the 80s Blue label ACL RC bottles, just to have one ..

One I recall fondly is Tahitian Treat... been hunting for that one - hard to find at retail here in NY , did find some cans last weekend on my Canada tri and drank a couple, nice diversion :) .
Anyone have a bottle for sale ??????

I also recall riding our bikes down to this lil country store, still had those then, lol - and they had the old soda machine withthe bottles laying down in the door - and they had grape and strawberry crush, good stuff... now when I tried a Strawberry off brand the other week, much too sweet, new formula or am I getting old ?

Funny how my current addiction-drink is Mt Dew, and I don't really recall that much from back then . interesting ...

anyways, rambling, but yeah.. nostalgia is both good and dangerous :)

~ AL

sodapops

Reaction score
I used to go to a station up the street at night and open the bottles still in the machine (bottles laying down) with a opener and let it pour into a cup.

On another note, I missed sodas in a glass bottle. Man what I'd give for a Strawberry "Squeeze". I sell bottled RootBeer and Orange at my restaurant and its real hard to find rootbeer in a bottle. I would love to find "Mug a RootBeer" or "Hires" in a bottle, something elase more nastalgic than A&W. Used to sell a ton of Grappette in a bottle until they called one day and told me they were bought out by Walley World[:mad:]quote]ORIGINAL:

I also recall riding our bikes down to this lil country store, still had those then, lol - and they had the old soda machine withthe bottles laying down in the door -

~ AL

[/quote]

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Of course I was aware of the world first in the 1980's, born in 1973 but wasn't paying much attention to the world till the 80's. I remember drinking the Jumbo line of flavors and hating their ginger ale, because it was too hot. I think Food City or Food Lion carried them in the mid-eighties and I always thought they were an off brand. Don't remember Double Cola though, which is odd that they had Double Cola's Jumbo line.

I was a Mountain Dew kid, I still joke that I was weaned on the stuff. I drank Mello Yello when Dew was unavailable or it was on sale. Always tasted wrong to me but who am I to argue with cheap. I never paid much attention to the colas, except when Pepsi Clear came out, I do remember loving that. While most I drank were in the styrofoam bottles and plastic 2 liters, with those annoying black stabilizer bottoms, I was aware of the returnables and actually had to work the bottle return section of the Kroger I worked for back in 1991. I wish I had been into bottles back then who knows what passed through there.

I remember the first time I drank a Cheerwine thinking it was going to be some type of near beer. I also remember not liking it, but then again it was from a can.

The Honaker VA Southern States had one of the soda machines you guys are talking about, and I got a bottle out of there every once in a while.

madman

Reaction score
hmm nice thread! growing up i drank tahitian treat , coke , pepsi , hires, a+w, faygo,7up,mtn dew,fanta,squirt,dr pepper, mr pibb,mello yellow,never cared for rc but drank it, and i remember white rock carbonated chocolate soda in the pull tab steel can,now i just drink water and tea, my mom drank fresca nasty nasty stuff!also remember when you had your first pepsi and or dr pepper wow! i was also a peeler lol!

celerycola

Reaction score
Grapico and Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale. I just filled the available space in the car with it in Birmingham to take back to Buffalo.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The photo below is the type of cooler my buddies and I used to raid in the early 1960s at a local gas station. We would un-cap them where they hung and sip the contents out through a straw. That is until we got busted one day by the old gas station guy who put a padlock on it. [:mad:] I can actually remember the very day that same gas station started carrying Mountain Dew. It was like discovering a whole new world of soda enjoyment compared to the other brands we were used to.

SPB

6B32D37A2A8F41359F3794B69CBA1FCD.jpg

Attachments

• 6B32D37A2A8F41359F3794B69CBA1FCD.jpg
    6B32D37A2A8F41359F3794B69CBA1FCD.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 77

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it here is the front of the cooler that we used to call a "slider." [:D]

48B8D176FEA141A98C93E2F4B3B89282.jpg

Attachments

• 48B8D176FEA141A98C93E2F4B3B89282.jpg
    48B8D176FEA141A98C93E2F4B3B89282.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 58

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Rick ~

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. But the part of the (true) story I didn't mention is how we always drank from the bottles at the end of the slider, and then re-capped them so as to delay anyone knowing about it until some customer finally came along (hopefully a few days or a week later) only to discover it was empty. And by then we were long gone and up to other shananagins like rolling huge boulders off a hill and onto the freight-line railroad tracks. But we were "considerate" enough not to do this where it would cause any serious problems other that for the train to stop and the engineer and/or conductor having to get out and roll the boulder off the tracks. We never got caught doing this, but finally gave up the practice when the County Sheriff got involved and started asking a lot of questions. I was actually a good kid ... I just hung out with the wrong crowd. Ya ... right! [:-]

SPB

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson