New (Old) Awesome Display Cabinet

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
After a long time searching, I was finally able to pick up a perfect bottle display cabinet (in my opinion) at a local antique store. It's real tall, fairly shallow, has glass on the sides and front, has adjustable shelves, is extremely sturdy, has glass shelves, and opens from the front. I'm guessing its from the 1890's or so. I had a similar cabinet in its place, but it opened from the back, so I had to slide it from the wall every time I needed to change anything and that was scary. Anyways, I got it all "outfitted"...mostly shipwreck stuff at the very bottom, then a shelf of mostly Stoddard ambers, then a shelf of shipping company and US Navy silverplate, then a shelf of New Hampshire flasks (mostly embossed slug plates), then a shelf of all of the "good" bottles I dug as a kid, then a shelf of some of the United States Lighthouse Service stuff I have. Really pleased with the unit overall. May install some sort of lighting at some point but otherwise this is basically perfect. I love old display cabinets.

Attachments

• Cabinet.jpg
    Cabinet.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 219

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
After a long time searching, I was finally able to pick up a perfect bottle display cabinet (in my opinion) at a local antique store. It's real tall, fairly shallow, has glass on the sides and front, has adjustable shelves, is extremely sturdy, has glass shelves, and opens from the front. I'm guessing its from the 1890's or so. I had a similar cabinet in its place, but it opened from the back, so I had to slide it from the wall every time I needed to change anything and that was scary. Anyways, I got it all "outfitted"...mostly shipwreck stuff at the very bottom, then a shelf of mostly Stoddard ambers, then a shelf of shipping company and US Navy silverplate, then a shelf of New Hampshire flasks (mostly embossed slug plates), then a shelf of all of the "good" bottles I dug as a kid, then a shelf of some of the United States Lighthouse Service stuff I have. Really pleased with the unit overall. May install some sort of lighting at some point but otherwise this is basically perfect. I love old display cabinets.
Hey nhpharm - sweet cabinet! I too searched far & wide for a display cabinet and my patience was rewarded. Mine is not antique, but it is sturdy, with strong, well-supported shelving ( the prospect of a shelving collapse was too painful to contemplate! ).

Your display looks fantastic - well done!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Great display! I enjoy the mix of antique metal artifacts and bottles, having the silverplate in the middle definitely helps draw one's eye in and provides lovely contrast to the glass. I'm wondering what the grey things in the bottom are, lead ingots or keel weights?

nhpharm

Reaction score
The big one in the back is a tin ingot from a ship that sank in Brazil in the 1700's. The other three are silver bars...two from sunken VOC ships and one (slabbed) from the Atocha. I like shipwreck stuff.

Plumbata

Reaction score
The big one in the back is a tin ingot from a ship that sank in Brazil in the 1700's. The other three are silver bars...two from sunken VOC ships and one (slabbed) from the Atocha. I like shipwreck stuff.

Wow that's awesome! Believe it or not I thought they looked like silver, but the form and size of that (tin) beast in the back had me uncertain so I didn't want to compliment your silver treasure and have you self-consciously say they weren't quite that precious. Very impressive to read that they are from historic/famous wrecks and even cooler than I thought! Hard for me to gauge but they look beefy, are the smaller ones around a kilo and the flat one ~100ozt? Silver is my absolute favorite metal, since I moved away from my stomping grounds almost 9 years ago I kept busy by getting back into ancient coins (with a focus on silver) and pre-medieval antiquities and then started hunting down and hoarding antique sterling silver articles just before covid, I love old silver. If it's not too much trouble and won't reveal unique identifiers which could put your identity and collections at risk I would truly enjoy seeing better pictures of your ingots, the tin one too as I also hoard pewter and appreciate "the poor man's silver" as well.

islamoradamark

Reaction score
that's a really nice cabinet im going to keep my eye out for something like that

Jake2150

Reaction score
Beautiful, How about a close up of the Stoddard shelf? Please and thank you

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen