fish bottle with screw-on metal cap

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

screwy

Reaction score
Got this at a flea market years ago. About 8-3/4 inches long. I can find no markings on it. It is painted on clear glass. Any info appreciated.

92AE80700BEA4C34B0B285DC1DD6F4CF.jpg

jamus

Reaction score
My guess is that it's a 30's or 40's candy container but I'll let the pros decide. It might be a bit big for candy... hmmm....

dollarbill

Reaction score
My guess would be Cod liver oil .That's just a guess though .It's a cool bottle I like it. Thanks for sharing and good luck finding out its story.
bill

bearswede

Reaction score
It looks similar to a green one I have around here somewhere... Mine has a label, and it contained a very dry white Italian wine... Perfect for fish...

Ron

screwy

Reaction score
As luck would have it, I found out about a bottle show that took place today. Only $2 admission and everyone was very friendly.
Two fellows I talked to and showed a photo of the bottle were 100% sure it was a whiskey sample bottle and that the paint was an original feature. I saw several other whiskey sample bottles at the show in the shape of a pistol and a picture of one that looked like a scallop shell. All had a metal screw-on cap. One key feature is that the top is ground flat to give good seal with the cork lining on the cap.
They felt this bottle would be a bit closer to 1880-1890 than 1900 and that value would be about $75.
Thanks to all who responded to my post and I hope this helps someone else.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
SCREWY...Welcome to the Forum.[:)]
You were correctly informed: it's a whiskey nipper. Good find.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
nice bottle.
The ground top indicates it was hand blown. The threads were integral to the mold and since no lip treatment was done they had to grind it to make flat.
These lips were used typically from the 1890s into the early 20th century.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229