Flood & Keene Bottle Show

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi all, What a day!![&:] Wendy( onabininger) Peter Samuelson and I left western Maine early this morning and headed for the Keene, N.H. bottle show some 3 hrs away... We had heard they received some 10" of rain the night before and there might be some minor flooding... We approached within 17 miles of town when there was a road block!! The police officer told us much of the small town of Keene was being evacuated due to serious flooding, he informed us there might be a ghost of a chance of getting into town by backtracking and going in by another minor route some more hours away!! Well we had come this far so why not! After wallowing through several swollen streams flowing down the road we found ourselves outside of town. We wondered if the show would be going on... Cars were almost completely submereged in the downtown area as a 10' wall of water had come and swept away a gas station and severel homes.... Ahhhh then we saw the bottle show signs.....[:)] I thought to myself nawww it has got to be canceled with this much kaos! As we rounded a couple corners there was the high school, high and dry with the parking lot full, yesss the bottle show was on. It was a pleasure to meet antique-bottle.net member (gingeralecollector) he is quite knowledgeable on his sodas! I appologize I dont have many pix of the show, but I did manage to get a snapshot of where the stoddard glasshouse stood, and some geese that invaded the waters in the downtown area![8|] Have a safe and happy week all.... Taz

Ec87573.jpg

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Minutes from the show... it looks like a pond but is really the side of the road...

Tq48921.jpg

Attachments

• Tq48921.jpg
    Tq48921.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 51

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Taz, I just moved from there 2 years ago, I lived 5 miles from that sign, south, every time I went by it , I wondered where that dump was, oh by the way, my research had that factory 1/2 mile down the road

JustGlass

Reaction score
Wish I had gone that extra mile. I stopped to ask directions to the high school, and was told I was less than a mile from , but I was also told by this man who was a pastor that the show most certainly would be cancelled and the dangers of a Dam that could break. Well taken the advice from the pastor...and not seeing one bottle show sign we decided to back track and hope the show was cancelled and maybe we could attend in the near future. As luck would have it I see the show went on. My mom said ah you wouldnt have enjoyed it knowing that your life could be in danger. Little does she know that I would wade in water up to my neck to see a good bottle show....Maybe next year....

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello Taz- it was very good to meet you and Peter at the Keene show- and it was indeed a wet. We managed to get our boxes of bottles into the show on Friday evening without too much water on them. The bottles don't melt but the cardboard boxes don't like the water. Nice to see a picture of the Stoddard sign. My longtime bottling partner is the President and founder of the Museum of Connecticut Glass in Coventry CT. Their web site is viewable, but still under construction, as is the museum itself. But take a look: www.glass museum.org. I did get a few pictures of the show. This first one is a section of our table (most of the items are my friend's).

Gd93739.jpg

Attachments

• Gd93739.jpg
    Gd93739.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 57

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Taz, I see the museum address got an extra space: www.glassmuseum.org

Here's another section of our table.

Nl28391.jpg

Attachments

• Nl28391.jpg
    Nl28391.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 53

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Now on to some other folk's table at the Keene Show

Ec89030.jpg

Attachments

• Ec89030.jpg
    Ec89030.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 52

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi G.A.C. I feel bad I didn't get more photos off! We had about 2 hrs to take care of buisiness with the Jar Doc...and take the whole show in, talk about pressure![8|] I never expected to meet you there![;)] Your bottle came out of the rough grind tonight... Back in it goes for the final polish... It is a S. Peel Belfast & New York. Maybe some of the U.K. members have heard of it? Iv'e got another radioactive green colored one kick'n round here somewhere you might like also...... Taz

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen