For Glassman The day Roy bested the Beatles 14 times!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Jamie,I found this tid bit of info out while researching Roy Orbison.

In Dreams by Roy Orbison
This is a great song one of the best written songs of all time.
For those here at the forum not familiar Young and old please
take 3 minutes of your time to listen to this song written in twenty minutes!!
ESPECIALLY JAMIE and the rest of you READ THE REST OF THIS POST.
The last paragraph in particular at the bottom

In Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbxsmcT7GOk

A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
"go to sleep. everything is all
right."

I close my eyes, then I drift away
Into the magic night. I softly say
A silent prayerlike dreamers do.
Then I fall asleep to dream my dreams of you.

In dreams I walk with you. in dreams I talk to
you.
In dreams you’re mine. all of the time we’re
together
In dreams, in dreams.

But just before the dawn, I awake and find you
gone.
I can’t help it, I can’t help it, if I cry.
I remember that you said goodbye.

It’s too bad that all these things, can only
happen in my dreams
Only in dreams in beautiful dreams.

In Dreams.................
Orbison later claimed that the origin for "In Dreams" came to him while he was sleeping, as many of his songs did. He often heard music while asleep and a radio disc jockey announcing that it was Elvis Presley's new songFor this song, however, he was half awake when he imagined it, and thought, "Boy that's good. I need to finish that. Too bad things don't happen in my dreams." When he woke up the next morning, the entire composition was written in 20 minutes.
"In Dreams", like many of Orbison's songs, rejects the verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus structure of the majority of rock and roll fare. Instead it mirrors the procession of falling asleep and becoming immersed in an elusive fantasy. It begins like a lullaby with minimal acoustic guitar strums, with Orbison introducing the listener to "A candy-colored clown they call the sandman". The introduction is half-spoken and half-sung in a "Sprechgesang" fashion found in operas and other musical theater performances. The sandman puts him to sleep, where he begins singing about dreams of his lover. Drums pick up the rhythm to follow Orbison's lyrics further into subconsciousness, and a piano joins as the lyrics recount how Orbison spends time with her, accompanied by breathy backup singers. Orchestra strings counter his melody that has the effect of representing a singing voice in themselves.

Using a five- to eight-note range, Orbison's voice rises as he wakes up to find his lover gone. The song trips; the music stops and a staccato tattoo replaces it, as he cries when remembering she has left him. The climax is a powerful crescendo as he cries "It's too bad that all these things / Can only happen in my dreams", and the resolution follows his voice from falsetto to the final note an octave below as he sings "Only in dreams / In beautiful dreams", as all the instruments and singers conclude with him abruptly. The song never repeats a section. In two minutes and forty-eight seconds, it goes through seven movements in multiple chords. The first two sections are sixteen bars, but the rest of the song has only eight bars per section. In the verse-chorus combination, where A represents the first verse and B represents the chorus, "In Dreams" can be represented by Intro-A-B-C-D-E-F.

Recorded in Monument's Nashville studios in early 1963, "In Dreams" peaked at No. 7 on Billboard's Hot 100 and spent 13 weeks on the charts in the U.S During the five months the song was on the charts, Orbison replaced guitarist Duane Eddy on a tour of England. He was immensely popular in England, and shared billing with The Beatles, of whom he had never heard. English promoters were wary of Orbison as a draw; he was not conventionally attractive or animated while performing, and they wondered if audiences would walk out. The tour sold out in one afternoon, however. Orbison's first meeting with John Lennon was awkward because Orbison was overwhelmed with the amount of advertising devoted to The Beatles when Orbison was supposed to headline the show. Beatlemania, however, was taking hold and Orbison accepted that he was not quite the main draw, so he decided to go first on stage On opening night, the audience reacted intensely toward Orbison's ballads, as he finished with "In Dreams".

Philip Norman, a Beatles biographer, later wrote "As Orbison performed, chinless and tragic, The Beatles stood in the wings, wondering how they would dare to follow him". After demanding Orbison play for double the time he was scheduled, the audience then screamed for a FIFTEENTH ENCORE, of the same song IN DREAMS in which John Lennon and Paul McCartney refused to allow by holding Orbison back from re-entering the stage.WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT JAMIE!!!! AND you know I am a big Beatles fan also.[:D]

LC

Reaction score
To me that is one of the greatest songs that was ever written and by a fantastic artist . I heard a story once that Elvis Presley was performing in a night club one night and while performing spotted Roy Orbison in the crowd . After singing his song it was told that Elvis pointed out Roy Orbison in the crowd and stated , THERE IS THE REAL KING OF ROCK AND ROLL . Of course I am sure many will argue that . Orbison was one of my favorite singers , I hated hearing the news of his passing , as I am sure he still had a lot of fantastic music still to offer .

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
All right Jamie I know you are a night owl check out this post.The Beatles trying to make Roy sick by eating cake before his performance the second night of the show.

FD388D43D2C74FA598F6D49624F59C36.jpg

Attachments

• FD388D43D2C74FA598F6D49624F59C36.jpg
    FD388D43D2C74FA598F6D49624F59C36.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 62

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
They were friends for a little while till Roy showed them up

4A6D3C365D494BB2864E6FC2D1FC3E19.jpg

Attachments

• 4A6D3C365D494BB2864E6FC2D1FC3E19.jpg
    4A6D3C365D494BB2864E6FC2D1FC3E19.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 59

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Oh Pretty Woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSGNSE6bM2Y&feature=related

Now theres a band for you Jamie,Roy Orbison, (The dude in the white jacket James Burton, Ricky Nelsons lead gutarist,Elvis Pressleys lead Guitarist in 70 to 75 John Denvers lead gutarist in the 90s while he was still around) Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, T Bone Burnett & J D Souther Bonnie Rait K.D. Langand Jennifer Warnes - Oh Pretty Woman Live, 1987

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
One more Jamie

SWEET DREAMS JAMIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNymGv5MktY&feature=related

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Another for ya Jamie James Burton is the man.

Mean woman blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TN_GI5mem8&feature=related

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Roy Orbison - Ooby Dooby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdWzIITwoM&feature=related

Il give Springsteen the nod this time Jamie

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Roy Orbison - Crying, The song that knocked the Beatles off the number one position in the charts in 1964.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dysmg6j1vMw&feature=related

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Just havin Fun with ya Jamie, get that car fixed now its more apt to overheat in the winter then the summer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28