Forgotten collection has me stumped

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: springdawn

I think that it was mold turned like my other one and then embossed. I just didn't know if that was all done during the same time period. There are no seams. Pontil mark?

As always, thanks for your time and knowledge!

It was hand blown into a two-piece mold. There are mold lines there up each side, although they can be faint sometimes, but the bottle was not turned in the mold. The letters were cut in reverse in the mold wall, so that the glass would fill them as the gather of glass expanded and filled the mold as it was blown. If the bottle was then turned, the letters would be obliterated. After the bottle was removed from the mold, it was held by a snap, which post-dates use of a pontil rod. It was a rod with shallow cup on the end, where the bottom of the bottle rested while two rods extended up each side which could be adjusted to gently grasp the bottle while it was sheared from the blowpipe and the mouth finished.

You're coming along. Keep asking and we'll keep answering.

Pretty sharp looking bottle by the way!

riverdiver

Reaction score
Hello Springdawn and welcome to the blue pages.

Your first bottle is a style sometimes associated with Apollinaris water bottles. There is a site called www.sha.org, this will help you with all of your questions and both bottles are probably on this info filled web site.

Good luck and keep showing us photo's and we will continue to help you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS