Forgotten collection has me stumped

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

springdawn

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and I need some help on dating a bottle.
When I was 13 or 14, I found an old bottle dump site on the side of a ravine at my grandmas house in Ohio. I spent hours pulling bottles out of the dirt. Until recently, when we were cleaning out my moms home, I had forgotten about all these bottles because they had been packed away. There are lots of them so I am trying to educate myself on them so I know more about my forgotten collection.
One, in particular, has me stumped. After hours of research, I don't know whether this bottle is free-blown or mold turned and/or its use?
It is a dark forest green color with no seams. There is a an open pontil mark on the bottom with a slight push up and no seams. The top is an applied blob top. This is all information I think is accurate. :)
The bottle fits the characteristics of a free-blown bottle because of the lop-sided neck but is somwhat symmetrical around the rest of the body and has a smooth finish like a mold-turned bottle. It is 9.25" in height.
I am attaching some pictures in the hope that you guys can help me out.

Any idea what time period it would come from? Is it a soda bottle? Beer bottle?

Thanks in advance!

722BF1D6E47E4A5B86911F938A9FBD05.jpg

Attachments

• 722BF1D6E47E4A5B86911F938A9FBD05.jpg
    722BF1D6E47E4A5B86911F938A9FBD05.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 75

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
You are close. That is a wine bottle from 1890-1900 give or take 10 years.
That is a turn mold.
It does have a blob style top.
It was handmade.

but

that is not a pontil mark
the picture is of a pontil scar. A pontil scar is a sharp, usually jagged piece of glass on the base from the blowing process

BF7321D164D04F7DA18DF2FBCA83B7F6.jpg

Attachments

• BF7321D164D04F7DA18DF2FBCA83B7F6.jpg
    BF7321D164D04F7DA18DF2FBCA83B7F6.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 71

glass man

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!If you have one that old would love to see more!!Especially ones with embossing on them!JAMIE

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mtfdfire22

...A pontil scar is a sharp, usually jagged piece of glass on the base from the blowing process.

Just so Springdawn doesn't misinterpret your statement (and I know you know what a pontil scar is, brother firefighter), it's where a blowpipe tipped with molten glass was stuck to the bottom of the bottle, to hold the hot bottle while the blowpipe was severed from the neck. The reason I'm throwing this in is that I've had some folks ask if the pontil scar is where they blew the bottle.

Dang nice one on that calabash!

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
That is certainly the perfect example. Not my bottle though. I was just being short and sweet since we answer this question and correct folks so frequently. We need a go to page on this site which explains things for newbies. We could get pictures and links together and send them to that forum page. That would be nice. and easy.

springdawn

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the information you guys have given me on this. I'm sure that us Newbies can make things pretty redundant :)
But I have read a lot of the posts on here and you guys are so very patient in repeating a lot of the same information. If you do sent up a different page on the topic of pontil marks vs scars, you are more than welcome to use my pictures.
I do have another couple of bottles that I am working on identifying and dating so there will be more to come. Otherwise I will slowly be driven mad while sitting in front of the computer and probably having a conversation with the bottle itself [:D]
Anyone happen to know anything about Gierings out of Ohio? I know they later hooked up with Coke but the bottle I have is not referenced anywhere that I can find. It is a torpedo bottle with a flat bottom and embossed with the Giering name, Anchor Brand, and (here's the catch) Alliance Ohio. Not Youngstown, which it what seems to be on all their bottles? I will upload some pics a little later.

Thanks again!!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: springdawn

I appreciate all of the information you guys have given me on this. I'm sure that us Newbies can make things pretty redundant :)
But I have read a lot of the posts on here and you guys are so very patient in repeating a lot of the same information. If you do sent up a different page on the topic of pontil marks vs scars, you are more than welcome to use my pictures.
I do have another couple of bottles that I am working on identifying and dating so there will be more to come. Otherwise I will slowly be driven mad while sitting in front of the computer and probably having a conversation with the bottle itself [:D]
Anyone happen to know anything about Gierings out of Ohio? I know they later hooked up with Coke but the bottle I have is not referenced anywhere that I can find. It is a torpedo bottle with a flat bottom and embossed with the Giering name, Anchor Brand, and (here's the catch) Alliance Ohio. Not Youngstown, which it what seems to be on all their bottles? I will upload some pics a little later.

Thanks again!!
1)Yes but thank you for reminding me. I loose it at time and I admit that. At least you came back and said something. There are a lot of post and runs that are WAY more frustrating. Thanks again
2)Been there, still do. [:D]
3) Sorry, I don't but someone else might.
4 not highlighted)I think I'm also seeing a three part mold. More to learn for you. Check the seams from the neck to the shoulder. Does it stop about there and then go around the circumference?

springdawn

Reaction score
So, here is my next mystery bottle.
Someone correct me if my assumptions are wrong on this. I think that it was mold turned like my other one and then embossed. I just didn't know if that was all done during the same time period. There are no seams. Pontil mark? Not that I can tell unless there is something that I am just totally missing. The neck is slightly crooked. And, like I mentioned before, I have found references to Gierings but any other example I can find of their bottles look nothing like this one and they are all made in Youngstown.
Who knows! I might have to start a different post about this one to see if there are any Ohio soda bottle experts out there.

As always, thanks for your time and knowledge!

71A378379D99423888664E22EABB0ADC.jpg

Attachments

• 71A378379D99423888664E22EABB0ADC.jpg
    71A378379D99423888664E22EABB0ADC.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 70

epackage

Reaction score
It's a cool looking ten pin soda but it missed being pontiled by about 60 years.... I recommend you spend some time learning about bottle attributes here, it's a wealth of knowledge for the beginner and long time collector...

http://www.sha.org/bottle/dating.htm

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: springdawn

Thanks again!!

I believe you might have misunderstood the statement above, a pontil mark and a pontil scar are the same thing. Your bottle does not have either, no pontil at all. The circle on the bottom is just a impression left by the mold, not a pontil of any type.

Dont worry though, you'll figure it all out, there is a lot to know! Hope you have fun recovering your old collection and starting a new one too

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS