forum newby

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lynley1244

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm afraid I'm new to forums as a whole, and old bottles as well. Have mercy?! I have a situation to deal with and need a lot of help identifying IV bottle companies and information from an above ground dump (!) that has supposedly been cleaned up, but was covered with sand instead. I brough home some IV bottles and all kinds of broken glass from a dump site near a former Air Force base, and caused an Environmental Quality, EPA, and Air Force hoopla!! LOL!!

Now a few years later, they have all long ago washed their hands of all of it and pretended it's was gone. The area is county land and wildcat subdivisions are springing up on top of that mess -- in a dangerous fissure area. I need to verify the makers of the various medical bottles I still have. It's impossibe so far by myself -- any ideas? I'm talking about a lot of acres and houses with glass washing up after any rains, in an area that is breaking open under their homes from building on old gravel pits and known fissure areas.

Thanks for any help!
Lynley1244

PS: I'm addicted to old bottles now, so I can be more interesting and figure out how to post photos at some point!! I predict I'll be learning a LOT here!!

madman

Reaction score
hey lynley sounds like a giant land fill , oh yes welcome to the forum! the iv bottles are they cork top or screw?? are they embossed with names or plain, also what mark is on the base of the bottles, pictures would help greatly, but you could desrcibe them in detail tell us more sounds interesting mike

Lynley1244

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! They're not either one -- red or black sun-rotted rubber held on with metal rings. I think they had a metal cap over that, but no threads to unscrew. I have to go to my storage area and pull them out to take pictures and answer intelligent questions. I found this website and was so excited, I just jumped in, in the middle of the night!

I do have more than just IV bottles, which are from about the 1940's to the late 80's. There are some fairly good medicine bottles. This area is desert and fairly "young" compared to the wealth of old items back East. I'm better at archeological digs and pottery shards and lithics, but a fast learner!

I come back with more information. Thank you!
Lynley1244

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Lynley...

Welcome to the forum... maybe we can convert you into a real antique glass collector, digger... once you catch the "bottle bug" it's hard to turn back.

Anyway, about your particular situation... are there any "sharps" in the area (needles) any other trash that shares the same area that would help date or identify its' origin? Anything with writing, maker's marks, logo's, patent numbers, lot numbers? Sounds like it could be a medical waste dump... any small hospitals, emergency rooms etc in the immediate area? Just some thoughts[8|]

Wayne

card

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Lynley. keep us informed. Like Wayne said, it sounds like a medical waste dump.

card

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Linley, Sounds like you found an illegal bio-hazard dump sponcered by the US government. They would rather point the big finger than have it pointed at them.

The dumping of bio-hazardous is strictly forbidden under federal and most state laws. You might want to check out your local library about the laws that cover bio-hazards in your area.

Be careful handling that crap. Which AF Base? I was in for 10 years.

Oh yeah, WELCOME to the fourm

Lynley1244

Reaction score
Hi Bottle Fans!

This AFB has been closed for years, but unfortunately is now an airport and college campus, etc.... The stuff they dumped years ago for ages, include many toxic and weird things, I'll admit! The IV bottles got my dander up and before the big sand cover-up, a friend and I took a LOT of pictures. I have great samples to dump on the desk of the next politician who ignores me!! LOL!! That should get some attention, if I wouldn't be arrested.... There's all kinds of illegal stuff at both sites -- the airport and dump. This was
a working AFB for decades, complete with a hospital, aircraft fuel spilled into the plumes, radioactive x-ray machines, etc. buried who knows where over there.... No one is left who was there at the time, or won't talk about it.

My concerns are for the people who moved here to retire or raise a family, and bought their "dream home" on the dump and rock quarry backfilled land. Even the solid ground is a hundred year old fissure area at the base of mountains, caused by decades of farming irrigation lowering the water table. There are 500 feet deep fissures the idiots around there keep backfilling with top soil and GARBAGE -- soon into their water supply.

My bottles and photos are about all I have to work with, and it will take me some time to get back to you with the pictures. I'm on a big deadline to pack move my grandmother's possessions out of her apartment following her recent death. Sigh!! You could call these things my "job", and my Duddley Doright work my "hobby". I just know you are going to turn me into a bonified bottle junkie!! I'm already wishing I lived in PA after seeing your pictures last night!

Back asap and thanks for the genuine welcome!!

--Lynley

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Lynley...

You got it! Take care... be careful and you know what? Sometimes it takes a person getting"arrested" to bring attention to something that just isn't right. Look at Rosa Parks and others who stood up to the government! We'll be here when you need us.[;)]

Wayne

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1