Found a really old foundation today and a cistern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

KBbottles

Reaction score
I'm almost sure it is a brick lined cistern. bricks are really really old and the foundation of the old house is all flat stones. Found out about this place from a couple locals and they insist the foundation is about 200 yrs old and it burned down 30 yrs ago. I really want to search for privies, and probe the cistern but need help and I do not have a probe. I may go back tm to take pictures. close to the house is a hillside dump, but with mostly young stuff and the woods is so freakin overgrown right now. Wish I found this site earlier to work on. There could be some older stuff underneath, but not too likely as it is shallow. I have a feeling there could be good privies here and some stuff in the cistern. Anyone have experience with cistern/well digging. Don't they go pretty deep? are they worth it?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
early cisterns are not typically very deep around here.

Wells arent worth digging unless they were abanded early on. They tend to be deep and dangerous.

cookie

Reaction score
I agree with Matt.....wells can be very dangerous.

Jody35150

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience going down into an old well? I have access to two, one which dates to 1900, the other is earlier.

I have an A-frame, an electric wench, a pump, and a methane-ometer.

My bottle fever has yet to override my safety concerns. And I have not been able to devise a 40-50 foot grasping or digging tool.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960