Found along the Hudson River...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nym9nyj7

Reaction score
Was walking along a road/railroad track following the Hudson River in Putnam County, New York, when I stumbled across an old pole that had been conveniently discarded in a ditch (because removing it once it became defunct would have been far too much work, apparently).

Anywho, still attached was the insulator pictured below. Because it's not glass I assume it's not that old, and because I have seen very similar, if not identical ones on E-Bay, I know it's not rare. But, other than a small logo there is nothing at all embossed on it.

Can anyone tell me a little bit about it? Does the logo mean anything to anyone? Thanks!! [:)]

nym9nyj7

Reaction score

B91AEE790A3941B7A4A1EDAEFC9496C8.jpg

Attachments

• B91AEE790A3941B7A4A1EDAEFC9496C8.jpg
    B91AEE790A3941B7A4A1EDAEFC9496C8.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 86

epackage

Reaction score
Gould, Inc. (1976-1981)

Not old but it's a nice looking insulator...

BillinMo

Reaction score
Yup, Gould. They bought and operated the historic insulator factory in Victor, New York, originally built by Fred Locke in the early 1900s. Fred Locke was an early innovator and influenced much of the porcelain insulator industry in the USA. So even though your insulator is modern and common, it's got quite a heritage behind it!

This type would have been used for power distribution. The C marking below the logo indicates the industry-regulated neck size of the insulator for a pre-formed tie wire. The skirt is what we call "sky glaze," intended to blend in with the sky better than the older brown insulators. The black top is called "radio treatment," which helped reduce static for anyone trying to listen to an AM radio near the line.

nym9nyj7

Reaction score
Sweet! I honestly didn't think it would be that new, given the condition and style of the telephone pole I found it on. But, thinking about it, it makes sense that if the poll was still structurally sound, they could have replaced the insulators for years and years if need be before they finally replaced the pole, huh?

That's a cool tid-bit about the radio treatment too - thanks Billin!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: nym9nyj7

if the poll was still structurally sound, they could have replaced the insulators for years and years if need be before they finally replaced the pole, huh?
[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide