I found intact antique pottery for the first time. I think.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moodorf

Reaction score
I think I may have found some antique stoneware/porcelain but I don't know enough about it to really date it.

anyway I had the phone handy for pics today :)

20230413_144018.jpg

this thing came out all at once, from underneath those roots to the left.
20230413_145855.jpg

20230413_153704.jpg

I think it's one of those wax seal jars? After some cleaning up I determined it has a suction mark of some kind. So....machine-made right?
20230413_153120.jpg

the bottom doesn't really clear thing up for me unfortunately, but I don't think I'd be seeing rings on a machine made piece of pottery.

20230413_153339.jpg

Anyone wanna help me date this jar? I assume it's somewhat old because of the crazing and the possible wax seal. To be honest my limited knowledge of stoneware/pottery does not extend in to like, 20th century stuff. Thanks for reading.

yay pottery!
20230413_152930.jpg

oh, and I helped this guy cross the road today. Maybe the jar was my karmic "thank you" lol
20230413_123216.jpg

okay that's all I've got for now

Last edited:

willong

Reaction score
I've only ever encountered one turtle in the process of crossing a road--we don't have much turtle variety or population density where I roam--and it was no snapper. But yeah, I did the same thing: pulled over, put on the hazard flashers and hand carried it from one side of highway to the other.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I think Hezezilla is right in it being a marmalade jar. I have found many in this style. It would have had a paper label. The older ones usually had the writing witten on the jar with glaze. I remember the Dundee Marmalade company switched from glaze to paper labels in the mid 1920's before going over to glass jars. So I would think your jar is probably from the end of the first quarter of the 20th century, 1925-ish or so. Mind you I am no expert but this is an educated guess based on my prior research on Dundee Marmalade jars only.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I think Hezezilla is right in it being a marmalade jar. I have found many in this style. It would have had a paper label. The older ones usually had the writing witten on the jar with glaze. I remember the Dundee Marmalade company switched from glaze to paper labels in the mid 1920's before going over to glass jars. So I would think your jar is probably from the end of the first quarter of the 20th century, 1925-ish or so. Mind you I am no expert but this is an educated guess based on my prior research on Dundee Marmalade jars only.
I'm pretty sure the Dundee marmalade was coming in transfer-printed stoneware pots much later than the 1920s. Here's an ad for marmalade in the stoneware pots from 1951:
1681498685969.png

And I've seen Keiller pots which look quite a bit newer than the one depicted in that ad. I suspect that the pot here is not a Keiller pot but it is one of their competitors' pots, and is probably older than the Keiller pots which typically show up since it looks like it was meant to take a wax-sealed cork rather than a paper and metal lid. I suspect it dates to around the turn of the 20th century, although that's just a guess. It would be easier to date by the things found alongside it I think, although if it's a particularly recent dump it's probably a late throw.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Dundee has been around a l-o-n-g time. I still get dizzy looking at the changes in the labeling. Their pots sell well despite the zillions of them out there. Congrats on your find. Kudos on being a fellow turtle person!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler