Found my first 1915 Coke bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JayBeck

Reaction score
I stopped at an antique mall on Tuesday and came across a 1915 patent date Coke sitting amongst some D-Pat hobbleskirts all priced at $3. What struck me as odd about this bottle is that it has 2 cities embossed on the bottom: Cleveland and Cincinatti, Ohio. I tried searching for some info but turned up nothing. I am mainly wondering why they would put 2 cities on the bottle and especially 2 cities that are so far apart when there were undoubtedly other Coke bottlers in between. Are there other 2 city hobbleskirts? Would this 2 city Coke be considered more rare than one that has just 1 city embossed?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jason ~

I took a quick look in Bill Porter's book and he list both cities together just like the one you have. But there is no footnote or other explanation regarding why this was done. The five different examples of that bottle are listed as follows ...

1915 ..... Relatively Common
1923 ..... Relatively Common
D Pat .... Scarce
6 oz ....... Unknown or Never Made
6 1/2 oz. Unknown or Never Made

I hope this helps.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

Another thing I just noticed in Bill's book is that there were also seperate bottles for both Cincinnti and Cleveland, Ohio. All of which are relatively common except for the 6 1/2 oz Cleveland bottle that is listed a scarce+

There must be a simple explanation for the combo cities, but what that explanation is I don't know.

The only 1915 hobbleskirt I ever owned was from Buffalo, N.Y., and I traded that to Bill Porter for a 1942 D-Patent from Needles, Ca.

Bob

JayBeck

Reaction score
Thanks Bob! That is definately some helpful info. I didn't think it was super rare or anything just thought it was rather unusual with the 2 cities. I largely ignored hobbleskirt Cokes for the longest time because I never knew the differences but now I at least look for those with the earlier patent dates. I sure would like to know more about the rare ones because I often see various hobbleskirts for under $5 but the cities don't mean much to me unless they are local. Is Bill Porter's book still available for sale?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's Bill's public e-mail address. His books are still available as far as I know. Contact him and see. He's a really cool guy. You might even ask him about your duo-city bottle while you're at it. He loves to discuss anything related to Coca Cola hobbleskirts.

Bob

Bill Porter e-mail : oldcokes@aol.com

grime5

Reaction score
there are a few dual city bottles out there.there is onr from texas with 3 cities on it.could be the dual citiy bottles are that the coke bottler owned the plants in both of the cities.but that is just my guess.
a quick look at the book shows 15 dual city bottles one 3 city and 1 dual state bottle.if you need the list let me know and i will type it up for you later greg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4