french and german with labels

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glasshunter

Reaction score
Hi! I found these in Maine today at the garage sale of a woman who said she used to dig with her father when she was little. I just wondered if anybody has any info, and also I wanted to post them for people to see a couple neat bottles.

Mk26599.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26599.jpg
    Mk26599.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 78

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey, GH...

That's an insane kick-up on the green one!!!!

Ron

PS: Welcome to the forum!!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Glasshunter, your amber one is refered to as a Hock wine. I have 2 of them (without labels) and both of mine have the stretch marks in the neck. Must be a characteristic of that type mould. Nice bottles, Kelley

glasshunter

Reaction score
Hi,
thanks guys! I have always loved old bottles and this forum is a great place to find out info and share pictures. I love these two and was planning on cleaning one of them out and using it for vineger or maybe i will just leave them as objects of art. These are the first ones that I have found with the labels still attached, it's neat to see the provenance. I think the amber one is late 19th century (I googled the maker). My favorite thing is the kick-up, too, Ron!

glasshunter

Reaction score
What is the purpose of a kick-up? and is this green Vinaigre bottle anything I should be handling with kid gloves?

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
The main reason for a kickup was to catch sediment. Very common in wines and olive oils. Vinaigre is a type of oil I believe. I would use rubber gloves as opposed to kid gloves. Don't want it to slip out of your hands![:D] Kelley

stefan

Reaction score
The bottle on the right from Marseilles contained white wine vinegar

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles