french and german with labels

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glasshunter

Reaction score
Hi! I found these in Maine today at the garage sale of a woman who said she used to dig with her father when she was little. I just wondered if anybody has any info, and also I wanted to post them for people to see a couple neat bottles.

Mk26599.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26599.jpg
    Mk26599.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 76

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey, GH...

That's an insane kick-up on the green one!!!!

Ron

PS: Welcome to the forum!!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Glasshunter, your amber one is refered to as a Hock wine. I have 2 of them (without labels) and both of mine have the stretch marks in the neck. Must be a characteristic of that type mould. Nice bottles, Kelley

glasshunter

Reaction score
Hi,
thanks guys! I have always loved old bottles and this forum is a great place to find out info and share pictures. I love these two and was planning on cleaning one of them out and using it for vineger or maybe i will just leave them as objects of art. These are the first ones that I have found with the labels still attached, it's neat to see the provenance. I think the amber one is late 19th century (I googled the maker). My favorite thing is the kick-up, too, Ron!

glasshunter

Reaction score
What is the purpose of a kick-up? and is this green Vinaigre bottle anything I should be handling with kid gloves?

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
The main reason for a kickup was to catch sediment. Very common in wines and olive oils. Vinaigre is a type of oil I believe. I would use rubber gloves as opposed to kid gloves. Don't want it to slip out of your hands![:D] Kelley

stefan

Reaction score
The bottle on the right from Marseilles contained white wine vinegar

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583