Fresh Dug Campaign Flask For Sale

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

justanolddigger

Reaction score
My opinion is..........Anyone paying 5 figures and calling themselves advanced collectors should be making a face to face exchange. If you want to be an idiot and send someone money via internet (which we all know is not safe) then you deserve to be taken. I'm sorry but a $300-$500 dollar plane ticket is minimal when we are talking $10,000.00 plus for a bottle.

You can be an "advanced" collector but That does not make you a super smart, all powerful, omnipresent, rocket scientist. So please don't talk these people up and make them sound important because chances are, they are not even talking about themselves this way because it sounds pompous.

Well said & I totally agree

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
By "advanced" I meant experienced, and not a "newbie". The class envy on this site is disappointing. I am not rich by any means, but NOBODY deserves to be taken by these predators. The past year the bottle scams have really ramped up. "Deserves to be taken"? Are you kidding me? The bottles that the scammers use are usually legit examples whith stolen photos or photoshop work done to enhance the color. Collectors financial resources notwithstanding, the impression that "real" collectors are somehow smarter because they do not have "five figures to throw around" is rediculous. By the way, Velma Craft is now selling non-existant tokens which are not major bucks. You go ahead and acquire your glass from your small circle of "trusted" friends...I do also, but I advertise for western bottles wanted on my website oregontrailantiquebottles.com. Most of the people who want to sell their glass are non collectors or people I do not know. Not been scammed yet, but I guess I am asking for it. The point was not "talking these advanced collectors up". The point was that there are now scammers out there just like the fine art, sports memorabilia, and other antiques world. Collectors with 30+ years experience usually know their glass, and the impression that they have more money than brains is typical of the smart a***s I see on this site. Guess I will just deal with my stupid, experienced, "advanced" collector friends. After all they deserve to be taken.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
***s I see on this site. Guess I will just deal with my stupid, experienced, "advanced" collector friends. After all they deserve to be taken.

Not class warfare, just simply put, you have to have common sense at any level. I am sorry, but if they spend $5000 on one of these scams, they do have more money than brains. We all know of all the internet scams out there, I wouldn't even gamble a $100 on a thousand dollar bottle from some unknown yahoo that puts up a pic in the middle of cyberspace. I cannot even imagine trying to spend $5000 on a pipe dream, so I'm sorry, I cannot feel sorry for someone who foolishly wastes their money. If i did get taken for that large of amount of money, I would be too embarrassed to tell anyone, let alone make it well known looking for sympathy. The heart of any scam is greed on behalf of the mark. If it looks to good to be true, it generally is. This isn't a case of someone buying a bottle at fair market value, these scams all revolve on getting rich quick. I deal with all sorts of people, people I have never met or heard of, but I have enough common sense to protect myself by using guaranteed payment methods, not the proverbial cash only, Money order, or even the worst, Western Union cash transfer. If I do get taken, I blame myself for putting myself in that position, not the scammer, we are all responsible for our own decisions

GuntherHess

Reaction score
any scams, fakes, misinformation, color manipulation, or other negative activities hurts the hobby as a whole so all collectors have a stake in stopping it.

Its not funny when people actually get ripped off but it is astonishing how easy some people fall for obvious ruses.
With certain collectors it seems their greed makes them easy targets. If you try to get every piece of cheese eventually you are going to stick your head in a trap :)

cyberdigger

Reaction score
The class envy on this site is disappointing.

I don't see much of that here at all, but class contempt rears it's ugly head now and then. I hate it when someone posts something here and someone else calls it 'junk' or something demeaning, even if it really is an item currently lacking in collector interest, maybe someone out there cherishes it.. I still have the first bottle I ever found.. I can't sell it for 50 cent but I'll keep it forever cause of the memory attached to it.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
Whats the old saying????

If something is too good to be true, it probably is.

By the way, Don't call us smart a$$es. Most of the folks on this site are the people who are out digging these bottles 3 times a week and putting them on the market for "your friends".

Your taking a stand and getting angry at us when the reality is you need to be angry at the people pulling these scams. Spend more time educating these friends of yours and less time being angry with us. I am totally prepared to pay large sums of money for the correct bottle but being a guy who works 45-50 hours a week, I have to work hard to earn my money, in turn, i'm very careful to who I give it to.
THIS SITUATION WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME BECAUSE I'M CAREFUL. mark my words. Please don't look down on us because we can say that.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229