fruit jar error

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cadburys

Reaction score
I dug a masons with a backward 4 on the base, does that make it more valuable?

Ant

dygger60

Reaction score
The backwards 4 does not really effect the value of the jar. The Mason's Patent jars have soooo many different base variations.

But who knows there may be someone out there that collects mold variations.

David

Wangan

Reaction score
As far as I know any of the backward letters or numbers dont increase value.The purpose was to get as many "good" jars produced as quickly as possible.The number on the bottom signifies the mold crew.How ever many jars got made on whatever shift,or crew,is how they got paid.It would cost to rework the mold so if the vessel is useable,send it out the door.

Miget Masons are desirable and some of the colors,like cornflower blue,apple green and amber always get a good price.

Some day Im going to get one of those internal thread jars.I think those are about the coolest kind of jar there is.Wow,TMC = too much coffee!

epackage

Reaction score
Funny, Henry's post right before your's is the same jar with pic's.......strange how things work.......Jim

RED Matthews

Reaction score
This is to cadburys question and interest. In the early glass mold making between 1740 and 1850 the craft of cutting letters and numbers in molds was all done by hammer and chisel. A lot of it was done by cheap labor and apprentice employee's.

The thing that is hard to conceive is that the lettering that had to be put in the mold cavity for job number, mold number, names, dates, and even pictured items, all had to be cut in the iron in the reverse of what you want to see on the glass.

Another point in time was the fact that they did not always have a means of transferring the out line of what was wanted from a reversed image. It was usually what was asked for and the mold maker had to lay it out in the cavity and chip it in the iron. This was done by painting in the cavity with anything from Prussian Blue, White Lead, or a water based paint. Then he had to scribe in the upper and lower parallel lines where a word layout had to be marked in the paint with a scribe tool. Try doing this on a tablet and keep all the material in reverse.

The number 3, 4, 6 and 9 were often made backwards. The letters B, P, S, R, N, are some of the most common reversed letters created. It is really a tricky subconscious moment that created most of them. There was no way to correct them after they were cut in the iron. The molds had to go with the order to meet production demand. It would otherwise require buying new castings and machining them up to the point of cutting letters to correct the error. To costly to even consider.

There have been lot of things tried and it wasn't until 1950 that a good method of welding in the cavity might save the mold. I have in my collection of mold errors a Coca-Cola Hobble Skirt bottle from Louisiana that has three N's in reverse in a line
of lettering in the mold. I am sure it was a special sample that just had to go for product samples the way it was made and I think fit was a mid 1900s made bottle.

Later production around 1930 had the creation of decals that could be made in reverse and transferred into a mold. This made some difference. But, the molds that had to be hand done were still subject to day dreaming and mental absence created the errors often.

I am still working on a blog covering letter cutting tools and procedures in mold making, it all takes time to get it done.
Red Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen