Full or Not? ACL Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dbv1919

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone thinks. I prefer acl bottles that are full with original cap. My friend likes his empty and believes full bottles are less desired.

celerycola

Reaction score
Whether ACL or embossed I prefer mine empty and have poured out the contents of many a bottle in my collection, keeping the cap. If one of those wintry -10 below zero days coincides with a storm that knocks out power for a week I don't want to worry about my bottles. I can see taking pics with contents if it shows the lettering but empty it afterward.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
I'VE ALWAYS EMPTIED MY FULL BOTTLES AND PUT THE CAP BACK ON THEM. MADE MORE SENCE THAT WAY .

morbious_fod

Reaction score
I keep very few full, and those are usually only the modern no deposit bottles I own, which I prefer full. I have maybe two vintage bottles full that I can verify are original cappings rather than the recaps of today.

dbv1919

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses. I got started collecting years ago when my gradmother worked at a small grocery store. She would watch for old bottles to come through the store when the coke, pepsi, ect. guys would make deliveries and let me pick the ones I wanted. They were always full and I guess that's why I always look for originally capped full bottles. Thanks.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello All , I see both sides of this !! But if you have a full bottle ? Chances are that bottle was never buried or thrown in a dump! So with that being said, the bottle would be in much better condition, Correct? I do understand what Celery cola is talking about living in the north. I have several bottles with paper labels that are from the 1930's to the 1950's that are full and in perfect condition. If someone would not have kept them full for there collection, they may have been buried or thrown in a dump pile. I personally feel that a full bottle of the same variant as an empty bottle should be worth more value. This is my opinion only and would never doubt celery cola's word or anyone's opinion!

dbv1919

Reaction score
That's the same point I have with my friend. I think originally capped bottles should be worth more if nothing else than the price of an original cap. Seems that generally full bottles are better cared for by people who don't collect than empties. I guess that all personal preference though.

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
To me, there are several good reasons to collect bottles empty,Clean bottles look great. It may be easier to read the labels with product in them though.The weight of full bottles. If you have glass shelves for display, could be an issue. I worry about my empty bottles on glass shelves...Shipping costs. If you buy or sell online, or even with friends who don't live nearby.If you collect wine, they have to be full, til you drink it. Then you'd pitch the bottle.Imagine, after you're gone, your loved ones looking at your full bottles of 20-30 year old soda. "Mom, can we drink it? Ewww! it's all cloudy! There's chunks floating in them!" "Just throw them all away Elvis. I don't know what your Grandpa was thinking..."

splante

Reaction score
I perfer empty myself, easier to store, display, ship ect. I find if you are buying full bottles on ebay or other sights many are not original so just another thing you have to watch out for. If full bottles are /were worth more then you would see even more being refilled and capped. You can find unused caps on ebay so it wouldnt take much to fill and recap and make a bottle have a perceived greater value, I recap a lot of my bottles empty it looks good and it keeps the inside clean.just my opinion.....have a pic but need to figure how to insert it with the new format

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris