Galveston Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
My last dig was cool and rainy. I appreciated the weather with summer just around the corner.

I probed out a promising spot near the side walk. Turned out to be a trashpit. I recovered around 50 bottles, mostly slick whisky flasks, but also some perfumes and cures.

I did find one local bottle in the pit, a Galveston Mignon hutch.

Also, I had never dug a poison. This dig I dug 5, including what I have been told is a scarcer KR-9.

I like that Stearns from Detroit, long way from home. Some of those Poisons could be from Detroit if they say P D & Co. on bottom. There is a Rare Coffin shaped Poison from Detroit. Leon.

webe142

Reaction score
I like that Stearns from Detroit, long way from home. Some of those Poisons could be from Detroit if they say P D & Co. on bottom. There is a Rare Coffin shaped Poison from Detroit. Leon.
Hemihampton, good call. The KR9 is marked that way.

nhpharm

Reaction score
A bit late posting, but went out a couple weekends ago to a new lot. Unfortunately much of the lot is covered with a cement slab and the maps are not much help as they don't show anything identifiable as a privy, but we probed out a few holes (trash pits) and managed to come up with some goodies nonetheless. Ended up with 2 Galveston hutch sodas (including a very nice example of the backwards N "Cortes" hutch), a Warners (sadly cracked but always fun to dig), an early (1870's) Galveston pharmacy bottle, a previously unknown Galveston 1 Gill milk bottle (beat up but will look fine on the shelf) and a great pottery caviar jar from New York. Lots of broken beer bottles on this lot but only came up with one whole one. Anyways, we'll be back at the same lot Sunday hopefully.

Attachments

• crock.jpeg
    crock.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0254.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0255.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

nhpharm

Reaction score
Went out Sunday for a dig with the boys and my digging partner. My younger son wanted to dig a hole near his last hole, so we punched a pretty random hole next to where he dug last trip and he came up with a nice 1860's Mitchell's Eye Salve bottle. My older son I put on a hole I probed out that felt promising...he was complaining at first because it was full of oysters and water but he pulled out a WOG hutch soda and a really cool glass advertising panel advertising the Barry-Wehmiller Company, which is still around but at the time sold pasteurizing systems and conveyor systems for bottling works. I dug a hole that ended up full of wood and not much else, but as I was getting it wrapped up, I pulled out one of my favorite bottles from Galveston...a Sweet Revenge! My digging partner had gotten into a huge privy so we worked on that for the rest of the day; it was a nice 1890's pit and for my pick I took home a gorgeous Preston pharmacy bottle and a really cool Victor, Colorado pharmacy bottle. I also managed to figure out where the earlier privy was so that'll be what I'll be digging next time!

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0274.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0276.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg