Gas Prices and Collecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TNGeneWhiz

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so forgive me if I've picked the wrong forum.

At our ETABCS club meeting this week, we spent a great deal of time discussing if the 17th Knoxville in June show we've planned will be well-attended by dealers and buyers, given the predicted gas price increase by Memorial Day.

We're interested in learning how the cost of gas and other economic factors is affecting bottle collecting.

Not only is the cost of collectors' personal travel increasing, the cost of things collectors purchase in general (groceries, especially!) is going up to reflect increases in transportation costs.

We'll appreciate your feedback so we can consider it in our deliberations about the show.

grime5

Reaction score
i try to save some money during the year for bottle buying money.i hope you invite more dealers this time instead of just mostly local dealers.as far as gas goes i am 80 miles away so that shouldnt be a factor for the trip. hope ive answered some of your questions. later greg

madpaddla

Reaction score
I am alot farther away but have pondered this question for some time.
When the economy is good or bad i think deals are to be found.
Either if its good alot of people are buying almost any bottles or
If the economy is bad the folks with more abundant money are still buying but there is less competition.
Likewise, people with good bottles that hit a time when they need money are more likely to sell bottles they wouldnt but...
people are always cleaning out an old house with nice glass. WATCH this years XMAS shoppping as a true gauge. It was down. Worst in over 10 years.
A simple prediction is ....
Gas prices, down turn in the housing market, lack of descrectionary funds, and the impending increase in power costs....
I would think less people would have the money to go.
ON A POSITIVE NOTE:
The $600 federal rebate check are due out in May. Good Luck.
Madpaddla

sunrunner

Reaction score
hi mizz: traveling is a big factor in the hobby, either if geting to a show, or travling to a dig.you have to prioritize....sunra

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
this years XMAS shoppping as a true gauge. It was down. Worst in over 10 years.

Gas and food for a show is a one or two shot deal, not a big factor. The $400+ for a <½ tank of heating oil doesn't help. We haven't had the heat over 65° all winter, usually 62° or less. I think that was a big factor for X-mas in the cold climate and would effect show goers more. I guess Tenn, not so much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday