George Washington bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to know if a member would please post a picture of an original pontil bottle so I can make sure I am not buying a reproduction? Thanks in advance, Kevin...

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well there are more than one type of pontil to recognize. The oldest are tube pontiles that were made by the bottle makers use of his previous bottles blow pipe. When he completed that previous bottle, he laid this blow pipe on a ledge with the glass neck end towards the glory hole of the furnace to keep that glass end hot enough to stick on the bottom of the next bottle. If you measure the diameters of the neck they should e about the same on the tube pontil.
Other pontils would have been made with the use of a punty rod, having a round end sometimes contact end that was also kept hot; but dipped it in graphite and iron dust or glass chips and dust, and the diameter of that punty would be larger if the weight of the bottle was heavier.
Either way empontilling, was necessary to let the bottle maker apply and tool glass added to the top neck of the bottle to be shaped the way the finish was supposed to be.
RED Matthews

FitSandTic

Reaction score
It may be better to post a pic of the bottle you are interested in. There are good repro's out there.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks Red, I will post a picture of the bottle before I buy it, Maybe you or another member will be able to let me know if is a reproduction ? Thanks for your help Red !!!!

FitSandTic

Reaction score
You could also study some of the real ones that have been sold on ebay.

FitSandTic

Reaction score
I have a few for sale in Bedford if that's where you found it.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
No, I actually, I found this bottle in Wilkes-Barre Pa. It is a light blue in color, I will get some pic's and e-mail you if you don't mind giving me you expert opinion? Thanks, Kevin....

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Here is a pic of an open pontil on a snuff.

1027771DC8714F5ABB1EDA4FFCE42B21.jpg

Attachments

• 1027771DC8714F5ABB1EDA4FFCE42B21.jpg
    1027771DC8714F5ABB1EDA4FFCE42B21.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 99

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
I do know the difference between the fake pontil on the bottom, buy I understand they have repro's from several years back! The bottom of the bottle in question looks the same as yours. I have some fake bottles that I knew were fake when I bought them for cheap, But I think this may be the real deal . I will send you some pic's soon as I can. Thanks for your help ..... Kevin..

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.