German half-post fantasy bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Free-Blown-Whiskey-Utility-Bottle-with-Open-Pontil-Empty-/150953198124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232583022c

We've discussed these bottles several times but thought I would again bring it to folks' attention that these are NOT OLD. Can't call it a reproduction because there is no 19th century equivalent - thus the term "fantasy bottle."

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I asked seller if s/he can tell us anything about where this came from or how they acquired it. I'm very much doubting they'll say it was made for them in Mexico... We'll see.

Jim G

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I got a very quick and nice answer from the seller. He bought it from George Waddy (certainly a name I recognize) in 2001. Sounds like a genuine, stand up guy. Anyone have the heart to tell him the consensus of the bottle community is that these are fakes?

Jim G

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: saratogadriver

I asked seller if s/he can tell us anything about where this came from or how they acquired it. I'm very much doubting they'll say it was made for them in Mexico... We'll see.

Jim G
Why does everyone blame the Mexicans? The fact is they made very few of the percentage of modern, old looking bottles.
I'm not dissing you Jim but every country in the world has done that and some is way better than the Mexico stuff.
Give credit where credit is due.[:D]

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Mexico's just an easy target[;)] I think we'd all love to know where this stuff is made. My personal bet is Europe somewhere. The stuff looks well made, and it IS proper half post method. If the colors were so off, the shape so wrong, and there being absolutely no wear, I think there would still be argument about them. But we've all seen too many in purple, and all agree that the shape just doesn't quite work, etc.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

ORIGINAL: saratogadriver

Jim G
Why does everyone blame the Mexicans? The fact is they made very few of the percentage of modern, old looking bottles.
I'm not dissing you Jim but every country in the world has done that and some is way better than the Mexico stuff.
Give credit where credit is due.[:D]

epackage

Reaction score
I sent him the message and he pulled the bottle from Ebay....

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I'm got to bet they are from Italy or not far from it.
THere is some skill involved in making these.
The glass is too clear and well batched compared to mexican stuff.
Also they are too few in number to be Mexican, Chinese , or Indian, they like doing imports in bigger groups. There could have been a big wave years ago and they have been diffusing into the market but these seem to be a fairly recent arrival.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks