BEWARE Reproduction "Stoddard" Bottle on eBay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks Brandon. I'd like to see some of the others also, they sound like great research examples if cheap enough.Until my truck is on the road again and repairs are paid for, no worries of me getting taken.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I thought it looked familiar, I just couldn't find the "keywords". I also thought there was something about a series of similar bottles that all had fake or later labels but that may have been in "poisons" or the "reproduction" area.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Sold for $67.66...I bet we will see some more of them soon.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
There was quite a run of them about 2 years ago. They seem to bounce back out into circulation every 6 months or so. I've seen several with questionable VT pharmacy labels. They come in some odd colors that aren't period appropriate. Plus the form just isn't quite right. That cylindrical form was usually on bottles of pint or more in size. These are apparently smaller, more like 1/2 or 1/4 pint. Jim G
nhpharm said:
Sold for $67.66...I bet we will see some more of them soon.

2find4me

Reaction score
How can you tell its a repro? I've always had a hard time picking the real ones from the fake ones.

nhpharm

Reaction score
These are tough ones...I was fooled the first time I saw one. They just are not quite right. The colors are a bit off, the pontils are a bit strange, and the glass is typically extra frothy. Typically no base wear except where someone took sandpaper to them (this one had some very coarse scratches on the base). The real kicker was when they started surfacing with lips that were different colors than the body of the bottles. This was done on a very limited amount of bottles (some British Codds, and a few American bottles) but always on the American bottles it was a one-off...you never see two. It wouldn't have been practical to do the different color lips as you would have had to have had two different batches of glass going at the same time to support one glassblower. On the other hand, whoever made these is good. The applied lips are well done and very convincing and the tubular pontils are "right" for these bottles. I would not necessarily be surprised if they are being blown using old cullett.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
The size VS color vs feel just isn't right, and they come in colors "not found in nature". One of the big red flags for me was that someone sold several with labels for Chapman Pharmacy, Fairlee, Vt, said labels being either new old stock or repro labels that have been slapped on MANY wrong bottles over the last 5-10 years. A VT bottle collector would know those labels in a second. It's a shame that this repro/fake garbage is making it into mainstream, as its going to make it harder and harder for new collectors to sort the wheat from the chaff. Repros like the Clevenger bro's repros are well documented, but all this new fake bottle/faked color stuff out there isn't documented at all, except on a few random websites and on here. Jim G
2find4me said:
How can you tell its a repro? I've always had a hard time picking the real ones from the fake ones.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2