Getting a metal detector. Which brand do you recommend?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
If you're going to be digging near/in water at all, your best bet would be the Garrett AT Pro. Waterproof to 10' , decent for any ground/sand.

Metal detecting isn't a job, it's an adventure!! (wow, old Navy commercial reference)

Although many of the guys/girls who hunt beaches in florida/hawaii etc.. find tons of stuff. One guy on the forum I frequent found over 17k worth of platinum/gold/silver last year. Many of these guys/girls find stuff like, 3carat platinum wedding band and then they'll get disappointed because they only find 5rings before they leave.

Hunting on the ground, of course, is different. I've hit old parks and found a few coins and a boatload of iron, cans, bucksaw pieces and car parts. i've also hunted areas and snagged semi-valuable coins and jewelry.

relic hunters make some great finds and money. Many of the ppl on the forum I go to live down south and east. They hit up old civil war sites and colonial sites. They wander in the woods (if they haven't done a bunch of research) and look for signs of a camp or foundation/building. The amount of buckles, buttons, bullets and utensils they find is unreal. Some of the ammo sells for 40-50$ per piece. It can be quite profitable.

Like Dig and Antique said, it's a great hobby. Nice bit of exercise and digging something up is a great adventure. The research you do for MD'ing goes hand in hand with the research you do for finding dumps/privy sites.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Mention water and Id say 90% of people will recommend a Garretts AT-Pro. This is one Iam adding because I dont mind getting wet and it will allow me to do this while not worrying I am going to blow the electronic cicuitry if it gets wet. It allows me to keep going in rainy conditions. Hope to have this by the 1st week in Feb.

I think the Whites you like Bellwood would be a good machine. Any detector will find junk iron and cans etc, its finding the good stuff in that slop that your paying for. A good detector locats that stuff, where the (as my Dad used to say) El-cheapo is going to go right over it. But, I would consider that Garrett AT-pro also. Whites are great, but if Iam not mistaken youll have to order headphones which the Garretts comes with and Kellyco offers bonus items to go along with purchases, even a buy one get one program on certain items. Good luck with which ever you buy. And post your finds!

I have a couple of old bridges that are no longer in existance, wadeable and with that AT-pro will be able to work the area for coins that folks have tossed from the bridge. No worries of dunking it.

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
I will take a look at the garrett. funny thing, i have this abandoned bridge site too. There used to be this old road that ran through the woods called Macrea road. It used to cross over a stream where i find alot of shards. The remnants of the bridge are there.

ironmountain

Reaction score
here's a tip. If you call Big Boys Hobbies and ask for Bart and tell him that IMshooter from the friendly metal detecting forum thought he'd be able to help you with your MD choice, he'll probably give you one heck of a discount.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
there are many good models out there.
the only thing I would suggest is looking for a good used one.
metal detectors are like exercise equipment.
People buy them, use them once, give up , and stick them in a closet.
I bought my Whites machine for half the new price and it was like new with several accessories.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I second that. I purchased a used detector about a year and a half ago and have no complaints. Payed half what it would cost new and got what I wanted and couldn't afford new. I have used the newer coinmaster and wasn't impressed. My 14 yr. old mid priced whites is deeper, more stable and built WAY better. Looks and feels like a toy.

myersdiggers1998

Reaction score
If your spending a bundle ,minelab is close to the top ,I own a garretts GTI 2500 its amazing and pretty tech. and i'm pretty dumb on tech. so i'm still learning after 3 years of ownership.Go too utube and see what the experts are using and make your decision off what you see.

ncbred

Reaction score
Have a Whites MXT (before they came out with the MXT Pro) and wouldn't trade it for the world. Had it around 10 years and never had a problem. Great for coin & relic hunting. I've heard that if relic hunting is your main purpose, Nautilus may be even better than the top of the line Whites. But they are in the $1200-$1500 range I believe.

Glad you chose a Whites though. You shouldn't have any regrets.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583