Getting Started

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JohnRoy

Reaction score
I'm John from Augusta, GA. I have gotten into bottles from my wife's family, who had an old General Store, and also some buildings on their old property that had bottles in them. I've found only a few notable items worth mentioning here: 19th century ceramic churn, Speas Ginger Jar, J.H. Mcleans Volcanic Oil Linniment, a Lance Cookie Jar, old pop bottles, and various Mason Jars. I want to get more into digging, though, because it seems like something that I'd enjoy. What should I do to get started?

diggerjeff

Reaction score
visit digger odell's bottle page. he has a book called the secrets of privy digging. it cost about 20.00 but is well worth it.
http://www.bottlebooks.com/
here is a link to his page. when it is time to buy your probe look up "jaken" he is a forum member who will make you a custom fit probe.

ronvae

Reaction score
Ok, here' the oddball point of view--don't forget that if you scuba dive, or even snorkle, and don't mind a bit of muck & goo, you can get to the sites where none of the diggers go...

heavy

Reaction score
when you are the first to dive a certain spot the reward can be AMAZING !!!

Byronincoos

Reaction score
Hey John....researching your areas history will produce information that will put you in the right locale. Locating the oldest maps of the given area will help pinpoint possibilities. Following practiced privy diggers tips, as mentioned by another member, will eventually get you in an 'undug' privy-hole. Here in the Northwest...old-growth orchards & ivy are excellent clues to a pre-1870 homestead, stagestop, etc. The closest ravine or creek was the usual dumping area.

I really envy you back East & down South diggers...the NW was the last area to be settled in the US...a lot less pickins' here.

Good Luck John,

Byron

JohnRoy

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I am a librarian, so I should be able to put together some good research now. My wife's family is from Columbia County, in a settlement that was founded early in Georgia history (1700's). I went back out to my mother-in-law's house and found a "White House" bottle with label and top (1 quart flask). Looks to be from 40's or 50's). Do not know for sure. I am encouraged... -John

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
John check around and ask questions! If you can ask a few old-timers if they remember any abandoned dump sites, this may give you a leg up for some good locations. Youd be suprised what people will recall, like "we used to take trash to that one spot but they outlawed it and its just a woodlot now" BINGO ask around LOOK for old piles of steel and debris in the woods in the country, look into getting a metal detector and then get permission to use it behind some farmhouses... The possibilities are endless!
I've been into antiques for years but only just got into bottle collecting, digging just last year. Its great fun and an inexpensive hobby and I think better odds than mining for gold! Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask around on this forum for advise, appraisals or suggestions, Look forward to hearing more from you!!
BOB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.