Ginger Ale Bottles wanted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

IRISH

Reaction score
Hey GAC,
That's an all-way codd (also called a bulb by some, here a bulb is like an all-way but bulges out on the seams for a CM or so), Dobson's are the two on the right in the first photo I posted in the first page of this thread (enormous, record sized thread [:D] ).

Your Thornley looks to be a really nice colour, is it unusually dark blueish aqua?

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hey Irish- I'm still confused about the Dobson's patent. Went back to look at page 1, and they look like Codds to me- was Dobson's patent a type of Codd? My Thornley's is on the darkish aqua side. It that usual for that bottle?

IRISH

Reaction score
Dobsons are a type of codd, there where hundreds of patents taken out after the codd's patent expired (and several before), so a bottle like the ones on the right in that photo is a Dobson Codd, your Thornley is an All-way Codd etc.

The Thornley's are more often just a normal aqua, I have seen one really dark one though, makes it all the nicer [;)] .

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hey Soda fans!

Been busy with all sorts of things- so haven't had a chance to hang out in the bottle world much. But I did go to the great Baltimore bottle show this past weekend. Wow. What a show- set up as a dealer with my bottle partner and we were busy from 8 am to 3 pm on Sunday the day of the show- record sales! Here's one of the finds at the show I bought from Brian Wade, the author of the Deco soda book. Big Hit Ginger Ale. It was a big hit with me for sure.

Us54024.gif

Attachments

• Us54024.gif
    Us54024.gif
    67.7 KB · Views: 81

botil

Reaction score
In my collection I have these bottles. I dont know if they are "ale" or "beer" bottles

Yw67867.jpg

Attachments

• Yw67867.jpg
    Yw67867.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 74

botil

Reaction score
This one is a porter bottle used to bottle porter or ale.
Embossed M. WISCHUM PHILADª on one side and W on the other side.

Ki19182.jpg

Attachments

• Ki19182.jpg
    Ki19182.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 75

botil

Reaction score
The other side

Ge94044.jpg

Attachments

• Ge94044.jpg
    Ge94044.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 79

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello Botil,

What a nice group of bottles. My interest is in the soda (ginger ale), not the beer type of ale. Some of your bottles might be whiskey bottles rather than beer or ale. The 3rd and 10th in your group picture are most likey whiskey bottles. There may be others that were whiskey but the shapes of #3 and #10 are most typical. As far as the others are concerned, most of them could have held beer of any kind, including porter or ale.

There is a connection between ginger ale soda and ale (beer). When ginger ale soda was first invented in 1852, it was quite different than ginger beer as it was not cloudy, but clear brown like an ale (beer). So the story goes that the soda was named ale because it looked like ale (beer).

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Here's another recent ginger ale find. The Blue Anchor Inn is quite famous in Philadephia as it was the earliest one in America outside of Jamestown VA. The picture on the label is a reasonably accurate drawing of what the Inn looked like in the mid 1600s. It was where William Penn first went when he arrived at the land that was to become Pennsylvania.

Bz78231.gif

Attachments

• Bz78231.gif
    Bz78231.gif
    67.1 KB · Views: 85

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1