Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Fenndango

Reaction score
"Eggs made of thin glass were used quite often by chicken farmers of the twentieth century. The eggs were placed in nests to induce hens to start 'setting'. An added benefit was that the eggs worked as a snake 'deterrent'. The glass egg is placed in a nest known to be frequented by a snake. As nature dictates, the snake will swallow the egg, whole. It then wraps itself around a fence rail or tree limb to break the egg."

Fenndango

Reaction score
"These fake eggs cannot be digested and will kill snakes slowly and agonizingly over the course of months. They typically die from starvation, dehydration, infections, which can be caused when the egg blocks vasculature leading to the death of the skin, open wounds, and eventually systemic infections. It is a brutal death and we are so glad the finders were able to get this snake in for care."

GRACE ABOUND

BIRD SWING
Reaction score
I Enjoyed Reading About What Other people Felt About Snakes .I Was Raised Around Many snakes .I Killed Every One I Could .Thinking I was Doing All a favor . Most Every One I Knew Felt The same way .If You Woke Up With One In Your bed You might Feel The same way . But I Accept Other people the Way They are And Don't really care what Others do .Its A Free World. We Were Raised different thats All. I May Change and let the next One live I hope He doesn't Bite Someone . I Have Also Ate some Rattle Snake But only one time . You Should try It one time. Grace Abounds

Fenndango

Reaction score
I Enjoyed Reading About What Other people Felt About Snakes .I Was Raised Around Many snakes .I Killed Every One I Could .Thinking I was Doing All a favor . Most Every One I Knew Felt The same way .If You Woke Up With One In Your bed You might Feel The same way . But I Accept Other people the Way They are And Don't really care what Others do .Its A Free World. We Were Raised different thats All. I May Change and let the next One live I hope He doesn't Bite Someone . I Have Also Ate some Rattle Snake But only one time . You Should try It one time. Grace Abounds
Yea I grew up killing them with a hoe because my mom was deathly afraid of them. Now I wouldn't do that. But I'm also not dealing with poisonous snakes either. And yes I would definitely try rattle snake and also snapping turtle.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I have definitely learned a lot more about snakes, and the glass eggs! I always let snakes go their own way. They seem just as afraid of us, as we are of them. They only bite if they are surprised and caught off guard. I don't like seeing them when looking for bottles.

Jstorm

Reaction score
When I Was A Child we Used Them Also To Kill Chicken Snakes .They Had To Be Fairly Light .The Snakes Also Liked Eggs .The Snakes Would Get In The Nest And swallow The Eggs Whole But Once The Snake Swallowed The Egg HE Could not Crush the Glass Egg And It Stopped The Snake Up And He Would Die .. The snake didn't go far most of the time they never left the area .then we would cut the snake open and get the glass egg .they use sell them at the feed store . Honest Grace Abounds
Nice history lesson!

Reactions: Len

willong

Reaction score
These glass eggs were sometimes used for mending heals of socks, mittens and other items.

Cliff
You beat me to mentioning that use. My late mother used one for darning socks. The one she had was considerably more durable than a light bulb for that purpose. I'll have to check her sewing basket; the egg might still reside there. If I live at least a couple more years I need to learn how to darn socks and watch caps. I have a large supply, but many are getting holey!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hey Willong,

I give you credit for still wanting to learn how to sew. Its funny, I learned at a very young age and never used it. Doubt I could now. Not sure how senior you are but just remember the song that Disney(?) green cricket with the top hat sang back in the '50s--"You no fool, no siree. You gonna live to be 93." Many blessings upon you and keep us posted if you make progress. You may start a silent movement during this long, cold, Covid winter. The "Sockittome Club." ;)

Btw, I have a friend, (No, really, I do.) he sounds like you with the socks problem. However, before he cans them he gives them a "last season" with a duct tape patch. Not just on the exterior but on the interior matching spot as well. (Yes, I took copious notes.) He even has different tape colors to match the socks. What a great, AMERICAN invention! :)

willong

Reaction score
Hey Willong,

I give you credit for still wanting to learn how to sew. Its funny, I learned at a very young age and never used it. Doubt I could now. Not sure how senior you are but just remember the song that Disney(?) green cricket with the top hat sang back in the '50s--"You no fool, no siree. You gonna live to be 93." Many blessings upon you and keep us posted if you make progress. You may start a silent movement during this long, cold, Covid winter. The "Sockittome Club." ;)

Btw, I have a friend, (No, really, I do.) he sounds like you with the socks problem. However, before he cans them he gives them a "last season" with a duct tape patch. Not just on the exterior but on the interior matching spot as well. (Yes, I took copious notes.) He even has different tape colors to match the socks. What a great, AMERICAN invention! :)
I enjoyed your reply Len!

I can sew, after a fashion, but not fashionably! However, I have never attempted darning. Given what socks and knit caps cost these days*, especially the heavy wool ones, it seems criminal to this son of children of the Great Depression to toss them merely for localized heel and toe holes.
* I recently was shocked to learn how much a tiny card (it'd be a joke to call it a skein) of wool darning thread costs too!

It would take me a couple more decades to reach 93; doubt I'll make it. Scary thought is just how quickly twenty years seem to evaporate any more, especially when I can still remember how a nine-month school "year" seemed to drag on interminably before Summer vacation finally arrived.

I don't recall that particular passage of lyrics, but I definitely remember Jiminy Cricket
1642725683953.png
one of my favorite Disney characters when I was a child! The song that I do recall was "When You Wish Upon A Star" which he sang in the company of Tinkerbelle if I'm not mistaken. I had a crush on Tinkerbelle
1642725992473.png
before I even realized what those feeling were or why I felt that way:p!

I would not resort to duct tape for sock repair myself, even though I did use the material to extend the life of an old pair of tiger stripe fatigue pants to get me through the rest of the Summer of 1998 when they split just below the knee. The ghost of Blaze Foley, whom some people have labeled The Duct Tape Messiah, would likely approve of your friend, as would Red Green!

Reactions: Len

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler