glass prism from chandlier?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jamus

Reaction score
I was looking through some old stuff the other day when I came across this prism. There's a pretty cool story behind it. About 250 years ago, the expulsion of the acadians took place in Nova scotia, Canada. The English had just taken over the acadian's fort and were in the process of clearing the province of acadians. Before the English could get their ships into port, the acadians made maps and burried their valuables like gold,silverwear, plates and anything else of value. Most of them canme back later to retrieve it but some people never made it. My grandfather lived in the area where the acadians lived. About 40 years ago, a man came to my grandfather and asked him if he could dig for this acadian treasure. He would keep 10% and give him the rest. He had a map and knew where it was. He dug a hole about 20 feet wide by 20 feet deep in his front lawn. One day he disappeared and never came back to fill in the hole. while filling in the hole they found this prism. Did he find acadian treasure? or just leave them with a hole to fill in?

2DFF3D22F5BD49DE90624C4E89DFB886.jpg

Attachments

• 2DFF3D22F5BD49DE90624C4E89DFB886.jpg
    2DFF3D22F5BD49DE90624C4E89DFB886.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 50

jamus

Reaction score
I think the prism is cut glass. It is quite crude and has a chip off the bottom .

jamus

Reaction score
update:
I just saw on the news today that a group of archeologists have bought a field and are digging pretty close to my grandfathers house! They have found quite a few artifacts so far including a broken pipe and broken dishes. Maybe there was or still is treasure buried at the house! Also, while taking a tour around a historic house, I saw an old lamp with crystals that looked exactly like mine on the edges. Maybe I should get the old shovel out!

jamus

Reaction score
second update:
I went to the place where they were digging yesterday. They had been digging for two days in 3 meter by a meter squares. The thing I got a kick out of was that there were only 4 people from government there digging and the rest of the people there were paying $38 a day just to dig! I also found out from one of the workers that the crystal is only about 100 years old . So I guess that brings this thread to a close.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229