glass stopper

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
I'm looking for a glass stopper to fit a USA HOSP DEPT bottle that is ground for the stopper. I tried to post a pic from a web site but I GIVE UP. so here's the web page, it's the 4th bottle down, I want the same style stopper. If you mite have one similar let me know or send me a pic - ..........tHanks

http://www.medicalantiques.com/medical/Civil_War_Era_medical_and_drug_bottles.htm

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Frank, I have a slew of ground stoppers that I have dug and tried to match with my USA HOSP. DEPT bottles. The problem is that each stopper was ground for one particular bottle. Just the slightest difference and the stopper sets too high in the bottle or it's too sloppy. It would be shear luck to find one that fits properly. If you want me to, I will look in my collection and see if I have one that might work. Kelley

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Taz, no I haven't. I figure it would take some kind of lapidary grinder/buffer which I don't have access to. ( At least to make it look right) Hey.... that's right up your alley ain't it ??? [:D][:D] Maybe you should branch out an make a few extra bucks! It's a good idea! Happy Diggin, Kelley

diggerjeff

Reaction score
the only way to grind glass stoppers is to use some carbide grit. make a paste and apply to stopper, insert it and twist the parts together. this will take a while if you want a perfect fit. grinding glass needs to be done under water. it heats the serface and cracks the glass.

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
Thanks Kelley that would be great, I'm just looking for something for display, I think a stopper thats too large could be ground down. I've ground on a few bottles before with a carbide bit on the dremel without causing any damage - just have to do a LITTLE at a time. A stopper a little to small, well, could probably figure out a fix for that to. Thanks, Frank

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Frank, E-mail me your address and I'll see what I can come up with. Kelley

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Yes I have a wet belt sander, it's kinda like a wood belt sander but water drips on the belt and keeps things cool, I like using 800 silicon carbide on glass it will take out lip chips, scratches etc on glass etc... (Just a side note Kelley) after taking out flaws you tumble the bottle with cutter and presto lika new!![;)] Taz

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229