Got Gas?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ilovejake24

Reaction score
My Father probed a gas line about ten years ago on a construction project we were on. I don't know how, but the probe went directly through the middle of the pipe and made a perfect hole in one end and out the other. We dug around the line and ended up whittling a stick and then driving it through the open hole. This slowed the gas leak significantly and we got out of there. My dad called some of his buddies who work on gas lines and told them he found a leaky pipe. They were there within minutes and the problem was solved.

BittersMax

Reaction score
Hey nice shot. Three years ago my inexperienced digging partner whom I cautioned about the gas line, probed right through a 1/2" plastic PG&E gas service to a home on a permission dig. What a shot, he it it dead center. We immediately called 911 on that Sunday afternoon. It took PG&E almost 3 hours to arrive while the fire department stood by. The fix only took 15 minutes but the bill was $900.00. We were able to negotiate with the California utility company and got it down to $600. You should always be aware that underground utilities exist in every yard. In California there is a toll free number for USA (Underground Service Alert). They will come out to your project and mark out all known underground utility lines at no charge. They mark everything but sewer. I've used the service several times and it's saved my butt more than once, especially while using the backhoe.

probe buster

Reaction score
Thought I'd post an update: We finally received the bill from So Cal Gas last week. The total was $480, which included $60 for lost gas. That was a $240 (each) lesson for both of us to be more aware of gas line locations.

Dig on!

dollarbill

Reaction score
Sorry about your luck guys hope it turn out good for you both . Reading all this was making me think Oh no can ya smell it .Anyway most gas line should,nt have over about 8 lb of pressurer .Sound as if there pushen way to much pressure though those lines to cause dirt to plow in the air .Here they are going to the yellow plastic lines but most are still the old iron pipes .
bill

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey