Great find in old fouhdation Nova Scotia

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WAYNE

Reaction score
Hi everyone,I dug my first foundation and found lots of interesting things.[:D]I live in New Harbour Nova Scotia on land that dates late 1800's.
Eleven Bottles some with no names on them.Would they had lables?
1.Lydia E. Pinkham's Medicine Bottle 2.C.Gates & Co.os Life Of Man Bitters 3. Frasher, Thornton & Co. Limited-Manufacturing-Chemists. Cooksshire,Quebec,Canada.One bottle 3/4 full of medicine? Horseshoe, lots of old nails and pices of broken plates and glass.This is interesting,I dug some (10) six inch long charcoal sticks (lack of a better word) with a small metal needle in the middle.I think it may have something to do with a stove? There was lots of charcoal around the area. Does anyone have an idea what this might be? I'll be sending some photo's soon, that will help.
This house had the first radio in the community-could this be cells?
I've been diging behind the old foundation 50 feet or so and notice pices of broken glass,metal etc.around large rocks.Do you think the old timers placed these rocks over trash pits? I used all the strength I had to move one large rock and found a peice of metal under it. They would have had to use some equitment or a few men to place it there.Seems to be a lot of work just to cover up grabage?[8|]
This is more FUN than fishing in the river.Can't wait to open up the outhouse! Great web. site!!
Wayne "Bluenoser" Gillie
Nova Scotia

Jim

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Wayne. It sounds like you found a great site. The plain bottles usually had some kind of paper label on them to identify the contents. You will find lots of different plain bottles. Good luck with your dig, and yes, definitely dig the outhouse site! ~Jim

Yooper14

Reaction score
Sounds like you're getting addicted to the hobby already.

I can almost guarantee that the little "charcoal sticks" with "needles" in the middle are old batteries. I find hundreds of them in my dump. I was initially stumped when I first started diggin, 'til some came out complete or with partial labels.

Tim

WAYNE

Reaction score
Hi Tim,thanks for getting back to me on the "sticks". Would you say they are from the radio? Some of them have "rings" around one end. It looks like glass. Would you put the date around the 1920s or 1930s? One of the older men said he remembers seeing the radio many years ago.
Wayne "Bluenoser" Gillie.

Brains

Reaction score
i think i know what you are talking about. raido strain insulators. They were mounted on guy-wires incase the raido tower was struck by lightning so the electrical current wouldnt go to the ground. Most date after 1940 i think (well, i gessed) post the pictures, i want to see them[:)]
-Bryan

me2

Reaction score
Old thread, I know. But if the poster is still looking here is a Gates Life of Man Bitters Vegetable Compound with label, albeit a worn out one, as well as a Lydia E. Pinkham Vegetable Compound. I also added a Gates Invigorating Syrup because it was on the shelf next to the Gates Life of Man and the Gates products were produced by a company here in Nova Scotia.

7123980C7195435097794B9DFCC9868B.jpg

Attachments

• 7123980C7195435097794B9DFCC9868B.jpg
    7123980C7195435097794B9DFCC9868B.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 69

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter