Green Ink bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diginit

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm curious when this was made and how much is this neat little bottle worth?It's 2" x 2 1/4" tall. Thanks

Us52818.jpg

Attachments

• Us52818.jpg
    Us52818.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 98

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi again Jim,
You have what appears to be a British sheared lip ink,either a round or what is called a 'boat'.a square or oblong with 2 indented grooves for holding your pen nibs,hard to tell by the picture.Uncommon colour for a very common ink over here.Maybe $10US?Could be less in England.

KAT

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Is it pontiled? It looks like a 1820-30s vintage to me, but if there is no pontil......

Being so crude and bubbly, I'd say it would sell here in a shop for $30-40.00 US.
If it is pontiled, I'd say $60-75 US.

I think the top is called a "burst top". It was sealed closed and had to be broken open to use.

diginit

Reaction score
Oops, I should have posted the bottom pic also. The numbers 237 with an 8 inside a diamond. no pontiel, but no complaints!

Us55046.jpg

Attachments

• Us55046.jpg
    Us55046.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 82

Pontiled

Reaction score
Whoa, let's back up a little on this one. If I could get $30-$40 for these, I'd be very happy. The fact is, the usualy sell for about $10.00 (maximum) in the United States.

This one is a burst-top or sheared-top ink from England. It has a diamond registry on the base, but, as usual, you can't read it to tell the beginning date. However, this one probably dates from about 1900, plus or minus about 20 years. They were made for many years. Some of the dealers try to sell them as being from the Civil War period (1861-1865) but they aren't. The only ones that appear to be burst-top that were made here were made in the Kentucky/Missouri area and they are distinctly different.

I have a number of these on eBay right now (see Dumfries on a search). Mine are mostly shades of aqua, but I still have the green ones to auction when they begin bidding again.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I am certain most "antique" shops here would sucker some visitor out of 30 bucks for that ink. The shops here have gone overboard with pricing.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
LORD,Oldtimer!! 30 bucks??[:-] Your shopkeepers make my local dealers seem downright charitable![:D] You must do a lot of diggin',l.o.l

Don't think I'll be heading your way to do any antique shopping![:)]

KAT

olddump

Reaction score
Igot twelve of these for about 20 US bucks from England all sizes and shapes. I've had 10 of them in a shop for 10bucks each for 6 months and none have sold. I think they are making them still over there and pettaling them to us as being old. I've seen tons of them on e-bay at a time [like 25 and 30 for one bid]. I hate to say but they are everywhere but they do look nice though I've kept a few for my personal collection all colors and shapes. Good luck to all. Tom, Olddump

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn