green mineral water bottle? help...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

greenpoison

Reaction score
I picked up this "CHEMSLFORD SPRING CO." bottle at a going out of business antique sale the other day. What I put in quotes is embossed on the top, and below that is also embossed "REGITERED". On the bottom is very faintly embossed the number "962".

Has any one seen this bottle before, or know anything about it, or the Chlemsford Company? Any ideas of what it might be worth? (I got it for 50 cents, if thats what its worth, Im happy, I generally like collectible green glass anyway...)

Thanks,
greenpoison

Attachments

• Ca82559.jpg
    Ca82559.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 109

greenpoison

Reaction score
here's the pic...

Yw66409.jpg

Attachments

• Yw66409.jpg
    Yw66409.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Yw66409.jpg
    Yw66409.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 88

littlebit56

Reaction score
Hey greenpoison. That's a nice "GREEN" bottle. The one i have looks darker in the picture than it really is. Does yours?Mine is only seven inches tall. Here's a picture on this site (where i should have posted it to start with). I'll take your advice on the Historic Society of Lafayette, Indiana and have my sisters check it out for me. Thanks again. It has Howell on the front but i couldn't find it online at all. Probably went out of business faster than a falling star.

littlebit56

Attachments

• Ol31440.jpg
    Ol31440.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 93

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello Greenpoison,

Your bottle is a soda from Chelmsford, MA. It is probably from the early 1900s or even the late 1890s. Check the mold seam, if it does not go to the top of the bottle, it's the early version of this not so common soda. It probably had ginger ale in it. I have one of these with a ginger ale label. The Chelmsford Spring Co., had a bottling plant in Sussex New Brunswick, Canada also. Later the compant changed its name to Chelmsford Ginger Ale Company. I'm not sure when they closed the Sussex part of the business. Some of these came in a deeper forest green. Can't tell from the photo if yours is one of those. Value? Tough to say, but certainly more than 50 cts. In mint condition, $10 and up. The darker green ones bring more, when one turns up.

GAC

greenpoison

Reaction score
Ginger Ale collector,

Thank you so much for that information and your time [:)]
Much appreciated. I find that learning about the history of a bottle is as much
fun as finding the bottle itself :)

Sincerely,
-greenpoison

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics