GREEN ~ STRAIGHT-SIDED ~ ACL COCA COLA BOTTLE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

zecritr

Reaction score
Good Questions P :) At Least one from me :) Why is it all only on one side? nothing? on the other side?Honestly i look at the empty side i and i think 60's 7-up bottle :)no one bought it at that price. go figure :)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's a prototype that never went into production as originally designed because some amateur didn't take into account that it was too wide in the center and continually toppled over and got stuck during machine handling experiments ... (Lol) [:D]

Attachments

• a5b25834e38c45cab2c9545207317f75.png
    a5b25834e38c45cab2c9545207317f75.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 100

cokebottle1916

Reaction score
I can't believe how you guys can research a bottle. No one will ever pull one over on you guys. Good Luck. Buzz

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Attachments

• 62972e06140c4c559645a6e6a07048f6.jpg
    62972e06140c4c559645a6e6a07048f6.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 111
  • d0479a41456b43c89b4e928f5ca589f6.gif
    d0479a41456b43c89b4e928f5ca589f6.gif
    70.8 KB · Views: 108

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. The seller (item location) is in ... Montgomery, Alabama If a forum member lives in or near Montgomery, perhaps they could contact the seller and arrange to examine the bottle first-hand.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S. In case you haven't discovered it yet, after you click on either of the two pics to enlarge them, and then click on it again after it opens, the two pics will appear back and forth simultaneously.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Scenario ...

If the green acl was re-listed for $6.99 instead of $699.00, I suspect it would sell in a heartbeat whether it was genuine or not. I obviously cannot speak for everyone, but it would behove me to believe that any collector would not be willing to gamble a mere $6.99 to acquire a possibly rare bottle. Again, I cannot speak for everyone, but I feel it's the price more than anything else that is the biggest obstacle here.

By the way, I have been in contact with the seller and recommend that others do the same. I suspect this is not the last we have seen of the bottle.

T D

Reaction score
Bob, you made two statements in post #46 that are patently absurd. You said we are overlooking their eBay description "prototype" and that they seem to deal in high end bottles. My temptation was to end this post after that first sentence to let the weight of the previously stated absurdity sink in and reverberate by itself. No, I can't be so smart... I have met both this lady and her husband and have bought from them at shows. (I assume they are husband and wife, but I don't know, and as a side note they do sell on eBay under two different accounts for whatever that is worth). They are both nice people and I have never had any issues with them. eBay has become an ever increasing venue for trying to capture a big buyer with a bottle that has an unknown history/origin/or whatever you want to call it. I have no clue what their knowledge of the bottle is, and I really don't care, and I'm not saying they are guilty of it, but anybody can throw in "prototype" and words like that to increase the "WOW" of the bottle and perhaps lure a less knowledgeable buyer in. To use that as a base for us to build our research and discussion on is flimsy at best. As to the second point, they do not deal in high end bottles. I dare say most of the bottles they deal in (at least what I am aware of) are relatively common soda bottles from Alabama and Georgia. They have offered some much rarer bottles on eBay, but they usually have some damage. This in my limited experience does not constitute a high end bottle. And again to use that as a base for us to build our research and discussion on is flimsy. One way that I may differ from a lot of people is this- I would not waste even $6.99 on the hope and prayer that it may be a one of a kind find, because my experience tells me that it is not.

Plumbata

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Here's a prototype that never went into production as originally designed because some amateur didn't take into account that it was too wide in the center and continually toppled over and got stuck during machine handling experiments ... (Lol) [:D]

The apparent fact that you mentally equate the level of skill required to design, create the molds, and then manufacture the complex prototype hobbleskirt coke with the amateur skills required to apply red paint to a junk green bottle provides quite the insight into your default thought process.
SODAPOPBOB said:

This answers nothing, and is utterly irrelevant. Coca-Cola=/=Pepsi-Cola. Why would Coca-Cola start offering their product in 12 ounce bottles for 5 cents, when a standard 6.5 ounces was priced at 5 cents at the same time? The answer is simple. They wouldn't. They enjoyed a lucrative majority of the cola market-share as well as pervasive brand recognition, and at the time would have had no compelling motivation to offer twice the product for the same price. And, to entertain the absurd notion that it was a prototype "export" bottle, why would the price be denominated in Cents? The export bottles were intended for distribution in European markets where the USD was not official (usage on cruise ships is incidental), and besides, the '20s ad detailing the sale of the cases of labeled export bottles clearly shows that the price for a case of 60 "split" bottles (187.5 ml, or 6.34 oz) was 6 dollars, or 10 cents a piece. The bottles were fancy with champagne style foil and the ad specifically references their "handsome" labels and decoration, which I presume would mesh with upper-class European sensibilities far better than new-fangled ACLs. Coca-Cola would not have authorized the production of even prototypes of such a bottle because of several glaringly ludicrous features already mentioned. Even if priced at 6.99, the purchase wouldn't be a worthy gamble or anything else besides a foolish waste of money.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen