Guam bottle finds - questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

daven2nl

Reaction score
Hello! I have been a lurker here for many months; looking at posts almost daily but without much knowledge to contribute so I remain mute. I live on Guam, and enjoy exploring the jungle around my house looking for WW2 remnants. Just about the only thing left at this point are bottles, and I've acquired a reasonable collection of American and Japanese wartime bottles. I'd like to share four items with the forum members. These are unique finds for me, unusual because there generally is not much variety outside from WW2 coke, soda, and beer bottles.

The first is the real question mark for me - not a bottle but perhaps a jar. I found this in what was probably an old trash pit located near Northwest Field, a B-29 bomber base built in 1945 and occupied until 1952. This object was found alongside coke and beer bottles dated 1944.

bot3.jpg

bot9.jpg

The 2nd photo shows the base (?) and grooves for a quarter-turn lid or attachment point. There is a small amount of rusty metal left from whatever it was attached to. This really baffles me - I pride myself in identifying objects through Google and this one has me stumped. It almost looks like a light globe, but the glass is too dark to pass light. The nipple on the globe also serves some purpose but what?

The next two photos are of a Magnolia Milk bottle. I believe this is from the Philippines. Found in the same vicinity as the above object - Northwest Field in an undeveloped bivouac area that was occupied by support personnel from 1945-1952 as far as I can tell (by dates on bottles found).

bot1.jpg

1bot2.jpg

What makes this bottle unusual (to me) is the Owens-Corning data on the bottom. According to what I've seen published here, the 23 references the Los Angeles plan that supposedly opened in 1959. The 1 indicates either 1931 or 1941 since they supposedly went to a two-digit date in the late 40's. The Duraglas logo dates this to after 1940 or so. I suspect this bottle was made in 1951, but that would prove some of the accepted published data as false.

Most clear glass bottles I find are hazed like this. I suspect from the alkaline limestone rock. They will not clean up, even with acid. There are hundreds of 1944 and 1945 clear coke bottles laying around and 99% are hazed like this.

The next bottle was found in a former Japanese encampment area later occupied by the Americans. Many dozens of Japanese Dai Nippon and Kirin beer bottles laying everywhere, along with some other Japanese artifacts. Also found are some American bottles from 1944-1947 (most recent). There are shell craters here as well - so you can deduce with the Japanese beer bottles that they were having one heck of a party that ended very violently and abruptly.

I suspect this is a Japanese bottle, due to it's somewhat crude manufacture. I've never found another one like this, with the lip design and deep non-uniform base.

bot4.jpg

bot5.jpg

bot6.jpg

The last bottle below was found in an old dump with bottles dating from 1944 (and likely earlier) up until 1952. This is a turn-mold bottle with no seams anywhere including the lip. Unusual base also. I've not found anything else like this. I suspect Japanese sake bottle. All these finds were on Northern Guam which was relatively untouched until 1944 and the liberation. Thousands of Japanese soldiers were scattered in the jungle, planning to fight a guerrilla war once the American's broke through the beach defenses. Ultimately, they had a very difficult time due to hardship - lack of food, water, and organization. They ultimately were killed or surrendered. The last hold out surrendered in 1972.

bot7.jpg

bot8.jpg

I would appreciate any feedback on the above bottles, especially the small black glass globe which is the real head scratcher for me. I hope I posted these correctly - it is my first attempt! Thanks for looking! I have documented most of my explorations and finds at my web site, http://www.n2nl.net if you'd like to take a look (I also post about my other hobby, Amateur Radio, but most of the recent posts are bottle related).

Regards,
-Dave

Attachments

• 3A563FE554154623BA0E3AA690302963.jpg
    3A563FE554154623BA0E3AA690302963.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 87

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
RE: Guam bottle finds

Sorry that I can't help with the bottles, but wanted to say welcome to the boards.

73's

Mike
KE4MW

TROG

Reaction score

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Not sure on your first 3 items but definitely in the time frame you have come up with. The last bottle appears to be from around 1890 -1900 from looking at the base and it looks like it is also been spun into the mold. Could you post a good photo of the neck and lip as this will certainly help in dating the bottle.

David

daven2nl

Reaction score

Gentleman,

Many thanks for the responses - I really appreciate it!

Dave - 1890-1900 would absolutely blow me away. I will try to get a photo uploaded tomorrow my time. I can tell that the bottle was clearly spun in the mold - you can almost feel distinct horizontal imperfections from the spinning action. Near the lip, I can just discern a vertical mold seam (only the top inch or so, the rest was turned away). The seal does not extend into the lip area - there is a horizontal seam that runs around the neck of the bottle just below the finish (lip/collar). Again, I will try to post a photo tomorrow showing this.

The reason I would be blown away is that I've found nothing on Northern Guam older than the 1940s. Northern Guam was largely uninhabited until the end of WW2; only a few farms and ranches existed during the pre-war days. This bottle was found at the base of a tree I estimate to be 40 years old, with roots growing around the bottle itself - it was quite a challenge to dislodge! In the vicinity were lots of Japanese beer bottles and American coke, beer, and liquor bottles dated 1944-1945 (American liberation troops). Due to the coconut trees around, this may have been a coconut plantation before the war.

Guam was under Spanish control until 1898 and the Spanish-American war when the United States took control of the island. It was sparsely populated until WW2.

I always suspected it was a Japanese sake bottle - which may date it a bit more recent - it was manufactured more recently following the older method for whatever reason.

Thanks again,
-Dave

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

Welcome Dave

Maybe that round black globe in an urn. Just guessing [:D]

8F5ECD3023384A9798D27F510A4FE4FA.jpg

Attachments

• 8F5ECD3023384A9798D27F510A4FE4FA.jpg
    8F5ECD3023384A9798D27F510A4FE4FA.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 88

daven2nl

Reaction score

An urn is an interesting idea - but I would think it is way too small and the raised nipple prevents it from standing unless it was designed with a base. I'm still thinking it served some military purpose, as this was found in an area used in 1945 into the post war years by air crews and their support personnel.

Here is a more detailed photo showing the top of the last bottle, which may be much older than I imagined:

bot10.jpg

I tried to capture the seam remnants the best I could.

Thanks again all for the insight!

Reaction score
My guess on the black jar is some kind of cold cream noxema type and i would say the green bottle is definatly champange

hemihampton

Reaction score
Let me know if you find any old rusty dented WW11 Beer cans left behind by the Military. Especially olive drab camouflage like those pictured in bottom row of Pic. THANKS, LEON.

FA3534157D3842E3B608B2D9ED2B6780.jpg

Attachments

• FA3534157D3842E3B608B2D9ED2B6780.jpg
    FA3534157D3842E3B608B2D9ED2B6780.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 94

daven2nl

Reaction score
hemihampton,

Will do - but unfortunately the oldest cans I've found are late 70s era. All the WW2 metal stuff is just about rusted away to nothing. Even old drums - not much left but a few rusty pieces.

It's so hot and humid here (tropical), anything that's not stainless is pretty much gone.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen