Guam bottle finds - questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
As long as it's in 1 piece I can clean the rust off with acid. THANKS, LEON.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Welcome to ABN, Dave.
I have good memories of Guam. Flew in there at least 12-15 times, as a Boom Operator on a KC-135. Weird runway at Anderson, with that big dip in the middle and the cliffs at the end.
Spent a lot of time at Terragi Beach and down at the USO Club beach. I would bring a moped on the plane and zip everywhere on it. Saw a lot of wild boar and those HUGE bird-eating spiders. They creeped me out.
This might sound like a stretch, but picture early aircraft landing, without aid of electricity. The taxiways needed to be marked, especially at night. That little globe would have a candle in it and would sit in a holder with an attached post that was driven in the ground. I have seen early marker lights like that thing, in military museums. They were used primarily at remote/isolated fields without benefit of electricity, and went in with the first engineering teams.
Just an idea, not really sure if that is what it is.
Bill

druggistnut

Reaction score
OK,
Upon further reflection, I remembered something. That IS a taxiway light globe. It fits upside down OVER the bulb and screws in TO the socket on the pole.
Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen